Adding memery (macbook pro)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jackere, Oct 14, 2007.

1. jackere macrumors newbie

when I purchase the macbook pro online, the memory can be added from 2g to 4g with extra $700. But if you buy a separate 2g memory on apple store it's only $500.

So I figured if you want a new 4g-memory macbook pro, you save 200 bucks if by add a separate 2g memory ! AM I RIGHT? my concern is that is there any diff. between the two way?

2. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

There is no difference in the memory. You could get it cheaper if you bought it from newegg

3. kwfl macrumors 6502

No, u are not right

MBP has only two slots for ram
    yours currently filled with 2x1GB ram

if u wanna upgrade to 4GB
    u have to ditch these two chips and buy 2x2GB chips

at apple it is very expensive,

i hate apple when they dont give the option of buying your mac with 1x2GB ram and then u can buy only 1x2GB to upgrade to 4 as u are hoping to do
    (i dont need technical "forced"advice, i know it is slightly faster to use 2x1GB than 1x2GB)

they dont even give u an option for ur MBP to come only with 1GB ram so that u can ditch this cheap stuff and upgrade to 4GB without losing a lot of money

4. jackere thread starter macrumors newbie

oh thank you, I did not realize that! :D

5. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

You could get 2*2 gb crucial RAM for $303 which is cheaper than buying memory of Apple

6. jackere thread starter macrumors newbie

are they the same brand as the apple ram coz I think(not sure) apple ram is more compatible with MBP?:)

7. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

They aren't the same make if thats what you want to know. But I use Crucial and many others do too so its as good as the memory Apple provides. You can search the forum to see how many use Crucial to upgrade.

8. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

9. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

The only problem with Crucial is its questionable pricing policies - how much you pay depends on how you got to its website. I don't like the policy of not offering everyone the same price, or of Crucial checking your navigation history/cookies to determine its price.

You can get Crucial from NewEgg, or various other quality brands from OWC (macsales.com), as others have already posted.

10. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

I just bought a 4gb ram kit from OWC for $195...forget Crucial, go for OWC and save over $100!

11. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

I've had a number of good buying experiences with OWC.

Don't forget to send in your old RAM for a rebate (unless you want to keep it just in case...).

12. gotzero macrumors 68040

I am using a 4GB kit from OWC too. It is a great deal.