adding memory and then running the Memory Utility Application

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jketron, Mar 21, 2009.

1. jketron macrumors member

I just bought a early 2009 MAC Pro and it came with 3GB of RAM, I ordered 3 2GB sticks of memory to replace the 3 1GB sticks that I had in there from Kingston. I turned off the unit, I popped the little levers and pulled the memory out of slot 1, 2, 3 and then replaced the memory with the new Kingston in slot 1, 2, 3

One of the sticks in is not working at all and I get the RED LED light no matter what slot I move that chip to. So I am running on 2 of the new Kingston memory chips.

Can I mix the memory and add the 1GB into slot 3 and 4 with slot 1 and 2 full of 2GB chips?

Also how to I run the memory utility again? I went to /system/Library/CoreServices/ and then I see the program Memory Slot Utility.app

How do I run this? I'm used to no spaces and I type ./then program name

2. BobZune macrumors 6502a

You seem to have done the right things (also see http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/Mac_Pro_Early2009_4707_UG.pdf pages 55 and up, which recommends the same in the note).

To start the utility, just double click on the file name in Finder :D OR for command line use, use double quotes around the "name with spaces" <-- like this.

It is possible a memory stick is faulty -- you can check that by putting it in a working slot. Good luck!