Adding memory to iMac 2017

Discussion in 'iMac' started by SkyLinx, Apr 10, 2018.

1. SkyLinx macrumors member

SkyLinx

I just purchased an iMac mid-2017 with the default 8GB as I've read often that it's cheaper to buy and add memory myself. Question is, can I add just a module (e.g. 1 x 8GB) or do I have to add two modules? Would the iMac work with 3 modules (the two preinstalled plus the one I would add)?

Also, between OWC and Crucial (or others you may know) which would you recommend for price/performance/reliability?

Thanks

2. theluggage macrumors 68040

Adding modules in matched pairs (put them in the 2 empty sockets, as shipped - should be the 2nd and 4th sockets) is recommended, because the RAM can then run in dual channel mode which doubles the bandwidth. Adding a single module at a time works, but you'll take a performance hit because the RAM won't then work in dual channel mode.

Thread thrashing it all out here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ram-on-2017-imac-5k.2106351/ - there's a lot of ambiguous/just plain wrong information floating around, too.

Haven't tried OWC, but Crucial have a handy search tool for finding the right chips, and sell the same Micron memory that Apple use. 2 x 8GB sticks will set you back a bit less than the upgrade to 16GB from Apple, but you end up with 24GB total - which should be more than enough for general use.

3. SkyLinx thread starter macrumors member

SkyLinx

4. nambuccaheadsau macrumors 68000

nambuccaheadsau

Trust this is the 27" model. Apple designed the 21.5" memory not to be user upgradeable and this requires a crack of the iMac and almost complete strip down to access the memory.

5. SkyLinx thread starter macrumors member

SkyLinx

Yes, it's the 27"

6. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

My advice -- DON'T add more RAM, until you know that you need it.
    Are you having any problems that could be considered "RAM-related" right now?
    If not -- just smile and be happy with what you have...! ;)

7. SkyLinx thread starter macrumors member

SkyLinx

Actually I am a bit surprised that in these first two days I haven't had any issues at all with 8 GB and have also got Docker with 1 GB dedicated running and have been trying Android Studio with emulators and Parallels virtual machines... so far it seems to work just fine! I was planning on buying more memory because I had 32 GB on the previous computer but I think I'll follow your advice and wait a little and see if I'm good with 8 GB. Thanks! :)

8. Phil in ocala Suspended

Phil in ocala

I have a Mac Mini...i have 16 GB of Ram....don't notice any improvement on the spinning cursor.

Attached Files:

9. TheSkywalker77 macrumors 6502a

TheSkywalker77

I got my memory from OWC for a good price and it's been pretty reliable. Haven't had any memory errors since I got it. Definitely worth the upgrade for me. :p