Adding Memory!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by eyedoc_00, Sep 17, 2007.

1. eyedoc_00 macrumors regular

I have a G5 iMac Rev B with 1GB of ram. I want to add 1 more Gb for a total of 2GB. Is it OK to just get a another 1GB stick? Or do I need to buy a 2GB kit to have identical memory?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

2. CortexRock macrumors 6502

Check 'About this Mac' under the Apple icon, then select More Information. Click on Memory to see what specification of memory you currently have, and make sure you match those specs.

IMHO you don't need to match manufacturers, although some people will tell you that.

You can also use the memory compatibility checker at www.crucial.com to make sure you order the right upgrade.

3. eyedoc_00 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for your help.

4. CortexRock macrumors 6502

5. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Just a thought, if your current 1GB consists of 2x 512MB DIMMs, which is pretty common, then you may need to get 2x 1GB DIMMs

6. eyedoc_00 thread starter macrumors regular

I have one 1GB DIMM"s.

7. sbluetruck macrumors regular

sbluetruck

you could get a 2GB stick to make it 3GB, though you won't have dual channel support, i think the extra GB would make up for that.

just a thought......

8. Alienbrain macrumors member

Alienbrain

With imacs you do not need to install in pairs. You do however with Power Mac G5, and Xserves.

9. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Umm. no, that's quite wrong. This is an iMac G5, not an intel machine, here. It does not support 2 Gb DIMMs. If it is a non-iSight model, it has 2 sockets for DDR PC3200 DIMMs, and can take a maximum of 2 Gb with 2 x 1 Gb.

The iMac iSight model (1.9 and 2.1 GHz, I don't know if these are called Rev D or E) use a single DDR2-533 DIMM

None of the iMac G5 models implement Dual Channel architecture. The non-iSight models can use 128-bit access across 2 identical modules, however this was tested to have approximately zero effect on real world performance.

10. manatee8000 macrumors newbie

memory bus

Along these same notes:

I am capable of adding up to 8 gigs on my Powermac G5 and yet when I can only see four "buses" that hold the memory chips. Do I need to buy more buses? I thought they already came equipped in a computer that has the 8 gig potential?

Where do I get buses? I've Googled. Nothing