Adding more menu bar space

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cstephens7871, Feb 13, 2011.

1. cstephens7871 macrumors newbie

I'm a huge believer in menubar applications. Such a huge believer that I am running out of space for them all to fit. Does any one know of an application or trick to add more space or a drop down menu with all of them inside of there? A 13' MacBook Pro's menubar just isn't enough space for me.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I've never seen anything that, for example, doubles the height of the menu bar to allow more icons. One "trick" would be to start paring down your icons to those you either need or use frequently, but I'm sure you've already thought of that.

3. brijazz macrumors 6502

brijazz

Check out "Butler" by ManyTricks Software. In your Butler configuration, add a container to the menu bar section. Then, you can drag virtually anything (URLs, apps, etc.) into the container, and it'll be accessible as a drop-down in your menu bar. You can even customize the appearance of the menu bar item.

4. cstephens7871 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot! Many people like to reply with smart ass comments thinking I'm dumb, I just wanted a utility that does what I hope Butler will do for me. Do you know if in the drop down bar it will allow me to put my MobileMe sync icon, TimeMachine sync icon, etc. in it?

5. brijazz macrumors 6502

brijazz

You can't put "system" icons into Butler's containers. Keep in mind that you have the option of hiding both Time Machine and MobileMe icons from the menu bar (which would defeat the purpose of your initial post, I suppose).

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Every system has a limitation somewhere. Hope that works for you, for more than a month or two.

7. teplow macrumors newbie

Still looking

I too have have same problem with menu bar space :(. Any luck finding a menu bar "extender?" :)

8. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

9. teplow macrumors newbie

Adding more menu bar space

It's not "extending" in the linear sense. It's extending in the sense of drop-down menus, drawers (DragThing), layers (DragThing), more lines of the menu bar (Multirow Bookmarks Toolbar Plus for browsers), etc. My idea, which certainly cannot be unique, is have a "Menu Bar Items" icon that one could mouse over and then have a nested menu of menu bar items and their contents. I don't understand why some clever developer has not implemented this, but then again, I don't know whether the Mac OS allows this coding.

Thanks for your interest!

10. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Does Butler do the job, as described earlier in this thread?

11. teplow macrumors newbie

Butler won't do it. What Butler does, like other related programs, is just allow you to create folders with aliases to locations (like Preference Panes, apps, etc.). It does not provide the necessary virtual menu bar environment that you need to be able to place and use menu bar items.

12. chmac7 macrumors newbie

Looks like Bartender will do what you're after, exactly. It costs over £10 though, so not sure if I'm ready to pay that just yet, but if you try it and it works for you, be interested to hear your feedback.
    http://www.macbartender.com/

13. teplow macrumors newbie

Adding more menu bar space [solved!]

Is surely is (was). I bought it and it's marvelous. It works very well, is flexible, and is worth the cost (at least to me).