adding more storage to my mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by alaahershy, Aug 20, 2013.

1. alaahershy macrumors member

Hello everybody, I have a macbook pro 13'' mid 2012, and there is an sd card slot in it, i want to add an sd, but i don't know what is the max size that can i add it to my mac, and another question plzz can i install bootcamp on this sd,Thanks in advance.

2. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

You can add....

any card that supports the SDXC or SD format, that is my understanding. About tricking out Windows to boot from a SD card, maybe you have to check the Forums archive. Seems to me as a question asked a fair share of times....:D

:):apple:

3. alaahershy thread starter macrumors member

do you know the maximum size that can i used, per exemple is there an sd card with 256gb of storage

4. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

As far as I know no standard SD card will get larger than 128gb. As far as I'm aware your MBP should have no trouble reading that.

In any case, I'm not sure I would really want to have an OS bottlenecked by the read speed of an SD card reader and I don't believe bootcamp will allow anything but a direct harddrive partition however you MIGHT be able to create a bootcamp partition as usual and use something like Carbon Copy Cloner to clone it directly to the SD. Again, I've never tested and don't believe it would work (at least not well) but it might.