Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alaahershy

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 19, 2013
Hello everybody, I have a macbook pro 13'' mid 2012, and there is an sd card slot in it, i want to add an sd, but i don't know what is the max size that can i add it to my mac, and another question plzz can i install bootcamp on this sd,Thanks in advance.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
You can add....

any card that supports the SDXC or SD format, that is my understanding. About tricking out Windows to boot from a SD card, maybe you have to check the Forums archive. Seems to me as a question asked a fair share of times....:D

:):apple:

alaahershy

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 19, 2013
any card that supports the SDXC or SD format, that is my understanding. About tricking out Windows to boot from a SD card, maybe you have to check the Forums archive. Seems to me as a question asked a fair share of times....:D

:):apple:

do you know the maximum size that can i used, per exemple is there an sd card with 256gb of storage

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
do you know the maximum size that can i used, per exemple is there an sd card with 256gb of storage

As far as I know no standard SD card will get larger than 128gb. As far as I'm aware your MBP should have no trouble reading that.

In any case, I'm not sure I would really want to have an OS bottlenecked by the read speed of an SD card reader and I don't believe bootcamp will allow anything but a direct harddrive partition however you MIGHT be able to create a bootcamp partition as usual and use something like Carbon Copy Cloner to clone it directly to the SD. Again, I've never tested and don't believe it would work (at least not well) but it might.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.