Adding more than 1 Ringtone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by DavidAlin, Jan 31, 2010.

1. DavidAlin macrumors newbie

I created two ringtones, not having an issue with that... found a FREE app on the iPhone to download and create a ringtone. I'd created two (2) tones, I want one to be for my wife's number when she calls, and the other to be ID as default when anyone calls, but I can't choose both of the ring tones I created and sync to the iPhone, it only appears as the recent ring tone I sync to the phone.

My specs: 3GS 16GB (NEW since this past Friday 29th of Jan), using Windows Vista and the recent iTunes software for the PC.

Maybe it isn't done?!??!

I when inside "contacts" tried it in there, and to no avail it isn't showing but the recent sync tone I have. I guess the phone had deleted the first and kept the most recent? Can this phone have multiple tones for different (#'s) you have stored on your phone?

David A-

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

You can assign individual ringtones to individual number by going phone>contacts>clicking on the contact > ringtone.

What app are you using to make the ringtones?

3. DavidAlin thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Stridemat:

Thanks for you immediate response.

Rington Recorder, not the PRO.

Now, I'd gone into the location you suggested... "phone>contacts>clicking on the contact > ringtone" I see a "Check mark" next to the custom choice, but under the regular list are the ones that come with the phone, I can't see the first tone I created and figured it sync the phone up too... only the recent tone.

Something is wrong.

I have two ring tones. The first I created was called: "Gotafeeling" by the Black-eyed-peas, the second song: "needunow" by Lady Antebellum, the second one is only showing up. I copied both into the Ringtone section under iTunes, they're both showing up in there on my PC. But, on the phone...???? Only the second song is being listed. Can't I/shouldn't I be able to select between the two choices on the phone if they're there?

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I'm not sure of the in's and out's of that app but maybe the free app only let's you save one ringtone. The pro however may let you save more that one.

There are plenty of free websites which will create ringtones for you.

5. DavidAlin thread starter macrumors newbie

Are you saying that the FREE app I have used on the iPhone that creates and saves and downloads it to my PC's e-mail is preventing the iPhone to seeing more than one ringtone?

Interesting... if that is the case, which app do you recommend to use so that more than one app will work?

Would appreciate your comment.

6. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

7. DavidAlin thread starter macrumors newbie

Sounds nice, but unfortunately I don't have a Mac, I have a PC... remember. Unless there's a PC version it won't do me any good... unfortunately.

I am curious to know if it is/definitely the App that is doing it... although I am able to download the file and send it through my e-mail onto my PC and when I'm in iTunes, it shows up both ringtones... but on the phone itself it doesn't dispaly but the recent file (ringtone) and can't select more than one on the phone.

Guess I need to inquire with Apple or AT&T and see what they suggest... maybe you are right about the App on the iPhone causing this issue, and maybe it is preventing me from saving the file correctly to convert... but it doesn't make sense being that the file is already on the machine and used?

So many questions with this, and the doubt of it working. Ugh?!

8. DavidAlin thread starter macrumors newbie

Figured it out... it was iTunes... the sync wasn't right and it didn't copy the two (2) files, finally redid the copy of the .mr4 and now it works!

Whew!!

9. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

10. DavidAlin thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, walked back into the AT&t store, he asked if I synced both files up with the iPhone, I said "YES" - however, I didn't enable the sync button inside of iTunes to sync, and that's why both weren't showing... I had to remove both files, and then sync and after playing with it for a while, and clicking on "Apply" it finally took both tones into the phone. Whew! Now, that I have it, I can add more as I see fit and WHAMO!

I can do this.

So confusing at first, but finally a resolution!

Thanks!