adding moving text to videos

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
Hi,

I would like to add text as overlay to a movie. I would like to move the text with an object in the movie. For example I would like to put a name above a person and the have the name move with the person around.

What programs can do this?

Ideally it should also be possible to move clip art like speech bubbles or arrows around with objects and persons.

I'm looking on the cheap side (iMovieHD, iMovie, Premiere Elements and such).

Thanks, Andi

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Hi,

I would like to add text as overlay to a movie. I would like to move the text with an object in the movie. For example I would like to put a name above a person and the have the name move with the person around.

What programs can do this?

Ideally it should also be possible to move clip art like speech bubbles or arrows around with objects and persons.

I'm looking on the cheap side (iMovieHD, iMovie, Premiere Elements and such).

Thanks, Andi
Buy Apple's Motion. It's a steal for $50. And the effect/technique you want to use is "match-move". You can find tutorials on YouTube.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
thanks to both!

i didn't know that motion is only $50. it's way to powerful for my needs but it seems there is no alternative at that price anyway.

cambookpro

Contributor
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Weird, I was doing something similar this morning for a programme I'm assisting with. (Can't remember when it's on, but any UK peeps can watch it on BBC 2. Couple of months I think!)

Basically, I used Motion with a tracking path and then match move.

Last edited:

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
Weird, I was doing something similar this morning for a programme I'm assisting with. (Can't remember when it's on, but any UK peeps can watch it on BBC 2. Couple of month I think!)

Basically, I used Motion with a tracking path and then match move.
I just bought Motion and did exactly that. In principle very easy but no way to make it look good without tons of experience. Well for my vacation movies it's ok.

You can post a link or PM me the link when it's out. Would be cool to see how the pro's do it.

WRP

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Boston
I just bought Motion and did exactly that. In principle very easy but no way to make it look good without tons of experience. Well for my vacation movies it's ok.

You can post a link or PM me the link when it's out. Would be cool to see how the pro's do it.
To help, you can color correct the clip so that a point you want to track really stands out. Color adjustments and contrast can do a lot to help a motion track. Then once you have a good motion math you can delete the color correction you added to make the track easier. Also if you add motion blur to still moving objects it will immediately make it look more natural as everything we see with our eyes moving blurs.

And in the future, you can shoot for this by making sure a fixed point is seen all the time by your subject and it is contrasty. Some people use pingpong balls on a dark object for their track and then just rotoscope out the pingpong ball later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.