Adding mp3s to Itunes 10.4

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by xiaomei, Aug 21, 2011.

1. xiaomei macrumors member

I have upgraded recently to Itunes 10.4. In the past when I wanted to add new files to my library I needed to drag the folder with mp3 onto Itunes icon on the dock ( I store my mp3s on external hdd ). Now it appears that it is adding files that way, but it also creates playlist for every seperate folder with mp3s. So for example, I have 200 mp3 albums in seperate folders and by adding mp3s I am getting also 200 new playlists on left side panel. How to avoid that?

2. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

Try using command + O to add folders or drag the folder on top of the music panel.

3. xiaomei thread starter macrumors member

Both ways works the same, still loads of playlists.

4. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

Weird. I never have that happen to me. Are you importing multiple folders at once or one by one?

5. Young Spade macrumors 68020

This is what I do and I have never had any problems.

1) Set it so the songs are copied into the iTunes library. So it creates copies and the songs are added in.

2) Create a folder called "Add to iTunes"

3) Drop all files into that folder.

4) Open iTunes, add folder to library, add everything in that folder

5) Delete files in folder after they are copied.

6) Done

6. xiaomei thread starter macrumors member

I have one folder with multiple folders inside (every folder is corresponding to each album).

Can't do that. I have got 256GB ssd drive as my system disk in my Imac 24, so mp3s won't fit on it. I am keeping all of them on external drive.
    Everything was fine until Apple updated Itunes.

7. Young Spade macrumors 68020

^No you can. It will copy the files to wherever the itunes library is stored. That means, in your case, the songs should go to the external drive. I used to use iTunes with a netbook to manage music and I did it that way.

[​IMG]
    Advanced Preferences by Flac Vest, on Flickr

8. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

OP, I think he means that your entire itunes library is on the external drive, so if you added music to this "library", it'll add the music to the external drive.

9. xiaomei thread starter macrumors member

Exactly, but I thought, I've got enough space on that drive to try that (although I prefer my own file order when it comes for mp3s). It still adds every folder as a seperate playlist. Btw I've updated Itunes to 10.4.1, still the same thing.

10. Young Spade macrumors 68020

So you did that and you're still getting folders with playlists? Hmm....

I'm sure you did this already, but did you go into the preferences and make sure the library folders were correct and there was no funny business going on?

I mean that in the way that, the files are where iTunes points at and there aren't any extra boxes ticked or unticked?

I'm completely stumped here. :/

11. gusmahler macrumors member

Similar thing happens to me. I maintain my own music folder and they're by artist then by album.

So if I get a new album, I put it in the correct artist folder, then cmd-O to put it in iTunes.

Since the 10.4 update, it creates a new playlist with the new songs. Odd thing is that it only happens some times. About 50% of the time, it creates a new playlist, the other times it doesn't. It's possible that 10.4.1 fixes this problem, I haven't imported MP3s since the update.

My solution isn't much of a solution, I just delete the playlist when it's created. But I don't import 200 albums at a time, either.

12. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

Actually OP, I just reinstalled my computer from scratch and 10.4.1 makes random playlists every other folder I add. Hmmmmm possible bug I guess?

13. xiaomei, Aug 24, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2011

xiaomei thread starter macrumors member

Any chance to revert Itunes to 10.3.x?

Btw are you on Snow Leopard or Lion? Im still using 10.6.8.

14. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

You could try if you have the dmg for it.

I'm still using SL 10.6.8. It doesn't happen all the time - maybe every third folder import.

15. gusmahler macrumors member

I'm still on 10.6.8 also.

Maybe Apple has finally given us a reason to upgrade to Lion?

16. xiaomei thread starter macrumors member

17. Young Spade macrumors 68020

I've never had this problem nor heard about it until now.

I'm staying on SL until Lion is worth the time to upgrade.

18. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

Do you have .3mu or .pls files in this folders from PC ripping? That could be the cause of your problem.

19. gusmahler macrumors member

I'll check the .m3u file.

Thing is, I've been using iTunes for a while. Since the first Windows version, iirc. It has NEVER done this before. If you cmd-O and add a folder to iTunes, it merely adds it to iTunes.

It's only since the 10.4 update that it's been creating playlists. I'm sure I've added .m3u files before and it's never created a playlist.

20. xiaomei thread starter macrumors member

Mine does contain m3u lists, but I'm not keen right now to update to newer version just to find out that it is doing that again. Anyway I had them from begining.

21. thatdrewguy macrumors regular

I manage my mp3 files from an external drive like you do. I use to just drag the .m3u file to iTunes and it would automatically add it to the library. With the new version of iTunes i was also getting the playlist creation and no tracks in the actual library.

I've found if I only drag the individual tracks directly to the LIBRARY window in iTunes i get the tracks into the library and no playlist is created.

22. xiaomei thread starter macrumors member

Did it fix the problem?