Adding music on iPhone

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by gaanee, Jan 17, 2014.

1. gaanee macrumors 6502a

In iTunes you can add music directly to your iPhone or create a playlist and then sync. If you directly add then do you still have to keep it in the iTunes library.
    I have a large music collection and my laptop hard drive is getting full so wondering if this would work. I can add to iPhone and then move some of it on external drive. Will this work and can if yes then I can sync only apps but not music?

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

You can move your music library to the external drive and just point iTunes to that directory. Your iTunes library will continue to work just fine. It's been a while since I've done this, but there are guides online.

Alternatively, you could use a different service. I signed up for Google Play Music and it allows you to upload 20,000 of your own songs to their servers and stream them to your device. Their iOS app is actually pretty nice, it doesn't cost anything and it does allow you to download the songs for offline use.

3. FriednTested macrumors 6502

AFAIK if you drag and drop your music you are free to move it off your computer. You could give it a try with a couple of tracks. But, why not move it first and then sync or drag and drop.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd move the music library to your external drive and manage it from there, including syncing your iPhone. Many people (including myself) use NAS for this very task.