Adding music to iMovie slideshow.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by artnotwar, Dec 29, 2011.

1. artnotwar macrumors member

Ok, so I'm about to ask something that I know is going to be extremely simple, but I just can't find a solution anywhere.

I'm making a slideshow in iMovie, and I've got all my photos in there right. I've just added a music track from iTunes.
    When I play the slideshow, the song finishes about 20 photos before the end.

I simply want to shorten the average length of each photo so both music and photos will finish at the same time.

Thank you.

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Length of music in seconds, divided by the number of photos, equals display time for each photo??

3. artnotwar thread starter macrumors member

4. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

(as of iMovie '09) Right click on your project's video timeline and select Project Properties. There will be a Timing tab where you can set the duration for each picture in a slideshow.

5. artnotwar thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies people.

When I go into project properties, I can only move the slider in 1 second increments, which makes it impossible to make the audio and slide show finish at the same time.

My song goes for 171.85300 seconds, so i need to divide that by 66 photos, which is 2.60383333.

I need each slide to be about 2.6 seconds, but when I can only choose 2 or 3 seconds, or anything in the increment of 1 second there is no way to get them to finish together.

Surely it's not hard, this is such a simple task.

6. artnotwar thread starter macrumors member

So I just realised that when you hover the mouse over the slides, a little cog appears and when I click on it, it has the option 'video adjustments'.
    So first I highlighted all of the slides, then clicked the cog, then clicked 'video adjustments'.
    In there, is an option that says 'clip adjustment'. I clicked on clip adjustment, and to my surprise there it was, 'Duration'.
    I needed to change the 'Duration' to 2.6 seconds instead of 4, but it doesn't let me change it to 2.6 but rounds it down to the nearest .5, that being 2.5.
    This obviously makes it a lot better than what it was previously, but now the slides finish before the music, which is not what I want.:(

:confused::confused::confused:

7. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

So, your short of 6 seconds. Make 12 of the photos show for 3 seconds. No one will notice.

8. artnotwar thread starter macrumors member

Good idea, but still a pain. I'll do that for now, but somehow I'm still hanging on to hope that there is just a way to do this without all the stuff around. I would just think that this would be one of the very few options you would need in an application to make a slide show.

Do they leave things like this out on purpose so you'll go and drop $300 on final cut pro? Any app that has the ability to calculate a simple calculation should be able to do this.

9. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

You could always try making your slideshow in iPhoto, where it will make the photos fit to the music. You can then export it as a Quicktime movie.

10. artnotwar thread starter macrumors member

That also sounds like a good idea, but is it possible to upload HiDef from iPhoto?

11. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

I can export upto 1280x800 on my MacBook, which equals the screen size. Perhaps you can export to a higher resolution with a bigger screen?