Adding music to iTunes...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by skinnylegs, Feb 20, 2011.

1. skinnylegs macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

Just picked up a new 'Air today. I bought the 64 gig SSD HD model and decided to offload all multimedia stuff to an external HD. The question I have is about getting the music, movies etc. to show up within iTunes. I have directed iTunes where to seek media files (see picture below). Now, do I select File > Add to Library? If so, which file do I lead it to?

1.(Insert name of external HD) > Steve > Music > iTunes
    2.(Insert name of external HD) > Steve > Music > iTunes > iTunes Media
    3.Something else???

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. skinnylegs thread starter macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

3. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

if you copied the entire iTunes folder (not just the iTunes music folder) to the external, simply launch iTunes while pressing the option key, click on choose library when prompted, and select the iTunes folder on the external.

changing iTunes media folder location in preferences > advanced tells iTunes where to put newly added content, not where the current content is.

4. skinnylegs thread starter macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

Thanks for the reply, buddy!

I ended up unchecking the "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library" then chose File > Add to Library then navigated to the appropriate folder on my external HD. The songs, movies etc. have populated within iTunes but obviously they only work when the external HD is attached. Just the way I wanted it. :)