Adding Music to Keynote 08 Slideshow

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Noble Bell, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Noble Bell macrumors newbie

I have a Keynote '08 slide show that I need to add multiple tracks of music to. The music needs to be timed for segments in the presentation. What is the best way to do this if at all?

2. steveoc macrumors regular

Check out the Keynote 08 Users' Guide pp. 94-95. I'm sure exactly what you want to do, but the manual has good information about your options.

3. Noble Bell thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes. I read that section of the manual and I realized that perhaps my need was not fully explained. When I say, "timed for segments" what I mean is a segment may contain 20+ slides that need to have a sound track and then the next 20+ slides need to have a different sound track.

Sorry for the incomplete explanation.

4. steveoc macrumors regular

You could do this if you export the presentation as a Quicktime movie, then add a sound track in video editing software. Alternatively, one could capture the play through in an application such as ScreenFlow, then add the desired sound track to segments of a slide.

It is also may be possible to put the contents of the 20 slides on one slide using builds.

There doesn't seem to be a straight forward way to do it, but it is possible, though it might not meet your needs.

5. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

You can add music to individual slides, or as a soundtrack for the whole slideshow, but not the way you want to.

As steveoc suggests, you could put the first 20 slides into one slide, but it gets very complicated.

6. Noble Bell thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes. This is true.

What I have tried as a work-around is creating each part of the show as a separate presentation and sending it to iDVD. I can get my music with the appropriate slides and in iDVD I get both showing up on the menu but I cannot seem to find out how to make the second one start playing when the first one is done automatically. (ie chapters on a movie dvd)

7. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Choose "Play All" from the dvd menu should do it.

8. Dokk macrumors regular

+1

That's how I would do it, too. I like to keep things in Keynote, especially if I'm the one advancing the slides. If I was just using titling and wanted it to be set to music without me advancing it (i.e., just running on auto and, perhaps, in a loop), I'd probably just do the whole thing in iMovie. You could even export the slides as images if you really liked the theme, then import those into an iMovie project to have very precise control over automatic timings, transitions, etc.

$.02

9. Noble Bell thread starter macrumors newbie

iMovie!!

That is an interesting idea. I thought about that but dismissed it because I am not familiar with it enough. I have to complete this project for my customer and give it to them tomorrow. Perhaps I will be able to get it done tonight if possible.

Thanks everyone for the great help.