Adding Navigation To Tab Bar App Question

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by loon3y, Nov 1, 2011.

1. loon3y macrumors 65816

loon3y

in most of the tutorials its asking me to add a navigation view controller to the main window.xib,

in 4.2 there is no main window.xib, where would id add it than? to the first view controller.xib? or the actually viewcontroller.xib thats going to be using the navigation part.

2. jnoxx macrumors 65816

jnoxx

Ah, the MainWindow. Even in 4.2 I start my projects with a MainWindow, because I don't have time to dive into the storyboard thing.
    The truth is, the MainWindow is now replaced with the StoryBoard item. So you will need to dive into that >.< (or downgrade to a previous version for a bit to understand the basics more thorough)

3. loon3y thread starter macrumors 65816

loon3y

hmm ic, so i just need to make a main window manually? and it should be fine?

and thanks again for your help

4. jiminaus macrumors 65816

jiminaus

Even with storyboarding turning off, the Tabbed Application template doesn't provide MainWindow.xib. What I gather used to be in MainWindow.xib is now done in code inside the app delegate's application:didFinishLaunchingWithOptions:.

5. jnoxx macrumors 65816

jnoxx

I don't use the standard prebuild things, I just start with a clean project and make everything myself >.< I find it more easy to understand where my mistakes are (if they are any.. cough cough).
    And it just gives me a great overview, instead of handing it all over to a machine ;p

6. jiminaus macrumors 65816

jiminaus

That's a good attitude I think. This is slightly off topic, but towards your point. I gave a quiz to a friend of mine who's doing a first semester Java course. He failed to define a class correctly (put semicolon and no braces) because he always used the Eclipse templates and had never actually typed that code before.

7. jnoxx macrumors 65816

jnoxx

That's what I see when I see other developers around me (I work at a consultancy company), they all are so used of all the prebuild stuff, like, press 1 button, and the whole method is build for them.
    I like what I do, i code Objective-C everyday, and loving it.
    It gives me the power of what my application does, nearly from start till end.
    I also sometimes program in Flex, and that's like, err, okay, i just add a button, press enter, all methods are made for me and stuff, I mean, what's the fun in that.. Gonna stop ranting before i piss off other people. But I think I made my point.