Adding new Mybook studio 2TB for TimeMachine

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by billynicol, Apr 7, 2009.

1. billynicol macrumors newbie

Hi I am new to the forum and wondered if you can help me?

I have just had a catastrophic failure of a Maxtor basic 1.5TB USB HD as a TimeMachine backup. I was being cheap as the HD I really want is a 2TB MYbook Studio edition.

I have an iMac 24" with a mybook studio 1TB as my iTunes and Movies drive. It is in the 800 firewire socket. If I buy a 2TB I am left with 400 Firewire or USB.

My question is, can I add the 2TB to the firewire socket on the back of my 1TB mybook?

Or am I best to put it direct into the machine (iMac)

Thanks in advance

Billy

2. billynicol thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, can I add a question, I forgot that they would both have eSATA sockets too, would that work?

If I daisy chain them do they show up and can they be used as separate HD's?

Thanks

Billy

3. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

You can daisy chain up to 63 devices off of one firewire port on your mac and they will always show up as separate devices on your Mac. That's one of the beautiful things about FW.

Keep in mind, if you are daisy chaining, that these devices should be self powered, and not powered from that port alone as some devices will let you (i.e. 2.5" external hdd's)

If you do choose to daisy chain both on FW800, and you try to access both at the same time, then there could be some slowdown overall.

I know this doesn't firmly answer your question, but i hope it sheds light on what your choices are.

If it were me, I'd probably put whichever drive i used less onto the FW400 bus.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

5. billynicol thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, so can I ask, how can I daisy chain? I have one FW800 on the mac and one in each Mybook? can you buy a spiltter?

Thanks

6. MikhailT macrumors 601

Each of My Book will have two FW800 ports, you just simply use regular FW800 cable to connect one to the other one.