Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThatGirl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
California
When I added Jaguar to my iMac G4, I was told it was a stand-alone program and that I should erase the harddrive first. I did that, and once Jaguar was running, it no longer ran Classic programs. So, then I started over with the original System X software, then added Jaguar, and the classic programs ran again. That also worked on my Ruby G3, but not on my blue and white G3.

I should have come here first, but live and learn.

So, can someone please tell me the correct way to upgrade the system, and not lose the capacity to use System 9 programs? Also, I'd really like to add either Panther or Tiger, (when Tiger is available), but I want to know the right way to do it.

Thanks! :)

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
The Panther retail box set of disks does include Classic.

It's just tucked away as an optional install and is not immediately obvious when you go through the installation process.

Off-hand, I vaguely remember it being in with the foreign language options etc... about 2-4 screens in.

Down the bottom of the install panels are usually buttons that say 'options' or 'custom'

ThatGirl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
California
So, what you're saying is I should erase the whole thing and just use the Panther install, with the options? Is that correct? By the way, will that work on a G3 as well as a G4?
Thanks!

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
ThatGirl said:
When I added Jaguar to my iMac G4, I was told it was a stand-alone program and that I should erase the harddrive first. I did that, and once Jaguar was running, it no longer ran Classic programs. So, then I started over with the original System X software, then added Jaguar, and the classic programs ran again. That also worked on my Ruby G3, but not on my blue and white G3.

I should have come here first, but live and learn.

So, can someone please tell me the correct way to upgrade the system, and not lose the capacity to use System 9 programs? Also, I'd really like to add either Panther or Tiger, (when Tiger is available), but I want to know the right way to do it.

Thanks! :)
Just install OS 9 first (initalize the drive so it blank), then install OS X right over top of it on the same drive without initalizing the drive. This will put OS 9 and OS X on the same drive. Then when classic starts, it looks for the OS 9 System Folder. The reason you are having the trouble with getting classic to run, is because OS 9 System Folder is not installed. Note in the picture, there is one folder with and X called System (OS X System Folder), then there is another folder call System Folder (OS 9 System Folder). There is also the Applications (Mac OS 9) folder twards the top. If those are not in the root directory of the harddrive, then OS 9 is not installed. I even believe you can install OS 9 after OS X by just going though the install process without initalizing the drive.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 60

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
ThatGirl said:
So, what you're saying is I should erase the whole thing and just use the Panther install, with the options? Is that correct? By the way, will that work on a G3 as well as a G4?
Thanks!

The Panther install by itself should be OK but if you want to keep your existing stuff do an 'Archive and Install'.

Not entirely sure about the G3... better wait until someone else comes here and confirms this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.