Adding overseas family to my Apple Music Family plan

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by wesk702, Aug 5, 2016.

1. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

does anyone know if I can add my parents overseas to my U.S. Apple Music plan? I'm already on the family plan and have a bunch of slots open.

2. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

3. nicho macrumors 68000

do they have US based itunes accounts?

4. wesk702 thread starter macrumors 68000

wesk702

No and apparently they have to have the same country account for it to work.

5. nicho macrumors 68000

that is the case, yes (which is why i asked).

6. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

It would be all but impossible for Apple to offer this since every country has this own unique set of copyright laws. Even different companies may own different copyrighted tracks in different countries. Copyright laws far predates the global market.

7. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

Couldn't they just issue localised subscriptions, e.g. if OP's overseas relatives were in the UK they could have a UK Apple Music account 'billed' to the US family subscription.

I think a more fundamental reason is Apple almost never allows delivery of services in an alternative country to where it is billed.

If they allowed such cross-pollination of transactions then everyone in the UK, where a Music subscription is £9.99 per month would sign up a US account where it is $9.99 and save a few dollars a month.