adding page number to a PDF file

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tcam93, Mar 3, 2009.

1. tcam93 macrumors newbie

I've created a huge PDF file that I need to add page numbers to. The pages are numbered separately because the entire pdf file is an aggregation of several page numbering documents. But, I need a Master Page number that I can use to create a table of contents for the big PDF file. Anyone have any ideas that are not going to cost me a fortune? I've found several free programs that do that for Windows XP, but I need to be able to do this in OS X (Leopard) without spending a bunch of cash for software I don't need .. like a full version of Adobe. Any have any suggestions, or could write something for me that will work.

I've created the PDF file using Preview by dropping in the pages I need.

2. DrFrankTM macrumors regular

I have the same question and I still haven't found a good answer to it, unfortunately.

3. tcam93 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just a hint. I've decided to copy the file, page by page over into a MS WORD document where I've ran up 50 or so pages with a numbered footer. It's crude, but the PDF data copies over as a complete picture and I just slightly decrease it's size so that my page number shows at the bottom. It's not bad.. not perfect by any means, but since my PDF file has big margins it's working nicely. I wanted something that would do this quicker, and I just can't believe I couldn't find anything. Once I'm done, I'll create a new PDF file that has my original pdf data and the MS WORD added footer at the bottom. I think this will work, but it's time consuming. Good news is that I can add more to the page number rather than just a number like in the Windows XP programs I've been able to find. ;):apple::apple::apple:

4. magomra macrumors newbie

I hope Snow Leopard adds page numbers as a feature in the newest version of preview. Does anyone else have any other solutions until then?