Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

4k78

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2016
Since I've updated to the High Sierra public beta, I don't see an ability to add people. I have 49 different people tagged, but there isn't the plus button that used to be there (the same goes for the photo app in iOS 11) at the bottom of the person list.

What I've been doing after an import is to look through the photos manually or click "Confirm Additional Photos" for that person. The thing is, I know there are random people (I was at a fair recently) and there is an unknown person identified when looking at the individual photos. In the past, I would click the plus sign and hide them. Now that I think about it, I don't see anyway to Unhide the people I had hidden previously.

I know this is a beta, but wondering if anyone else is having these issues.

RednBlue

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2013
Reading UK
find photo with required face.
Click face and 'get info' - you should then see the face within a circle and a 'plus' sign
Click plus + 'add to faces'
That's it - done...works for me.

4k78

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2016
Thanks. That's what I've been doing. But previously, there was a plus sign at the bottom of the people list. I didn't have to go through each photo manually. Now I do and to me, that's a step backwards.

For example, I went to a fair recently and did some crowd shots, plus ones with my wife. Without going into the photos one by one, I wouldn't know any faces had been identified. I see another thread in iOS that has a similar issue.

Hugo Frade

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2015
Portugal
Same question. Don't know why they remove it. On the one hand that's cool because when you have a lot of photos with people that doesn't matter it hides them. But on the other hand, it becomes difficult to find faces to add to your library. Hope they add it again

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I think we are talking about two different features. The faces feature is found when using Get Info or at least used to be. The People feature is a machine leaning tool that discovers people and places them in an album. Some will be named, many will be grouped where you can tell it to merge the people together because it is the same person. The People album did have a list of found faces that you could sort though. This has been off an on again in my experience. Originally with iOS 10 I spent time sorting only to find it did not share the sorting with other devices. They announced with iOS 11 it would now sync with your other devices but so far the feature has been off. I see the people I had before, it did sync the people but past that I see none of the previous related features. If get info is the way its done now it should be more clear.

Edit: I guess I just ignored looking into this thinking the feature was off or broken right now but as already said, it works but its changed in how you use it. Thanks for bringing this up.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.