Adding photos without owning?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by lukester, Feb 29, 2012.

1. lukester macrumors 6502

I am a photographer and want to offer the IPad to my clients with their photos on it. How do you do this without going thru the process of iTunes and owning it?

Also can I add a slide show to the iPad? There is no flash support correct or no way to watch a video other that youtube?

2. lukester thread starter macrumors 6502

Can you add photos without syncing with my computer where it down loads everything?

3. normanbates macrumors regular

You will need to activate it through iTunes before putting any content on it, therefore when they plug it into their iTunes it will erase all content when they try and sync. However what they can do is back it up before doing the sync then sync it to their iTunes and restore from back up to get the photos back.

4. lukester thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess I should have looked in to this before I got the Idea and started to promote the idea.

I guess the only way I can do it is to let the clients load the photos in while I provide a DVD if I go that route

5. normanbates macrumors regular

You could create an Apple ID for them, upload the pictures to their iCloud account and give them the ID and password, once they activate their iPad they can log into the iTunes account on the iPad and then retireve the pics from iCloud and then if they have their own account can just log into that afterwards and the pics will be on the device and will auto save to their iCloud account anyway when they are connected to WiFi, if this doesn't make sense I'll try and clarify, just let me know

6. lukester thread starter macrumors 6502

I can't believe what a pain this all is.
    I should have researched this more. I think that anyone who will own an iPad or pod will have a computer too so I may just supply the disc

7. normanbates macrumors regular

In this day and age you would think so, but remember YOU are supplying the iPad so they may not have a computer to accomodate for one already.

It's a nice touch though so stick with it, you may want to try with different tablets though?

You can get cheaper ones than the iPad that you can simply drag and drop files onto through windows file explorer rather than needing iTunes (or the like)

8. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Not sure I understand precisely what you want to do, but if it's allowing your clients to preview specific photographs, why not use DropBox?

I believe they have an option to create a public folder which is accessible to even non-DropBox users.

9. normanbates macrumors regular

What the OP is wanting to do is supply an iPad to a customer, when they have a photoshoot, with their photos on it.

10. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

OP: You have discovered the genie in the box that is Apple's way of doing things..To achieve what you want properly, your clients would need a custom iTunes account (Yep, each one) Your DVD idea, may be the best workaround for now.

11. shastapete macrumors newbie

You could have your client set up the ipad durring the shoot (shouldn't take that long) or set it up for them if they don't have an Apple ID.

Then after the shoot and you're done editing and whatnot, you can transfer the files to the ipad using the camera connection kit.

If they opt into getting the iPad from you later, you can have them set it up when they pickup the photos, and then you can again use the connection kit and add the photos to it then

12. lukester thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the ideas, but it looks like I am stuck with offering them a dvd with the iPad

13. Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

Transfer the photos from your computer to a secure digital card and then use the camera connection kit to load them onto the iPad.