Adding Pointing Arrow in FCP X

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by AFPoster, Sep 29, 2011.

1. AFPoster macrumors 65816

Is there a way to add an arrow to point to someone in a clip in FCP X?

Also does anyone know how to put a picture on a Text slide?

2. lichinho macrumors newbie

Create (and animate) an arrow for FCP X

It is certainly possible to achieve this - and even animate the arrow.
    But I don't think it is there out of the box.

I can think of two ways of achieving this.

The best and most flexible way is to create the arrow as a generator in Motion 5 - if you have it. Then it will be there for you to use anytime you like in FCP X.

I'm a complete newbie in Motion, but I was able to create an arrow in Motion in maybe 3 minutes; then in FCP X I am able to change its color, size, opacity, rotation, position, adding keyframes to animate it if necessary - so, say, the arrow comes in from the side of the frame, or pulses, or whatnot.

Even if you don't have Motion, you may get a generator somewhere from the web. Otherwise, you may create the arrow as a still image in a graphics program. Just make sure it has a transparent background (not white or black), so that you can place it on top of your video and not obscure it.

3. mBox macrumors 68020

Im wondering if there is a cool Font out there that has this shape?
    Tips from lichinho are bang on :)

4. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

For the arrow either find an image of one on google images or just use the wingdings font I'm sure there's an arrow in there and just put some text up and find whichever letter on the keyboard corresponds to an arrow in that font. Then just animate it in the options.

5. AFPoster thread starter macrumors 65816

Are you able to share the arrow file?

6. mBox macrumors 68020

Yes this actually possible with FCPX of late. I noticed at CreativeCow that users are sharing their Motion files :)

7. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Answer: Go to generators, scroll down and choose "Shapes" and one of the options is an arrow. You can change the color, size, and direction it's aiming too!

As for putting a picture over a text slide, simply add the picture above the primary storyline and lay it over the text... you can scale it properly, etc to format it the way you want. Hope that covers it.