Adding RAM in my MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brentg33, May 19, 2008.

1. brentg33 macrumors 6502a

Hey all,

I have a 2.16 C2D MBP..it currently has 2GB of ram from when i ordered it from Apple. I wanted to see about upgrading to 3GB of RAM and wondered a few things
    1. is there 2 sticks of 1 gb in there now, and what would i need to buy to get it to 3gb (1 stick of 1gb or replace one with a 2gb stick)
    2. is there harm in mixing companies of ram?
    3. if there is, does anyone know where i can purchase (hopefully at a good price) the same that came from the factory
    4. is it hard to install in a MBP?

thanks
    brent

2. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

remove one 1gb stick and put in 2gb stick
    RAM is RAM . no problem mixing brand (normally) :D
    you can get crucial RAM or better buy at OWC
    to install you just need to remove 4 screws, you can check ifixit.com to see how it's done.
    and original RAM is Samsung.

3. Archangel959 macrumors newbie

It's very easy, like dead said, you remove the battery, and then remove 4 tiny screws to reveal the 2 Ram slots you have.

EDIT: Oh, you should probably try to ground yourself to something or at least touch the metal plate behind the batter to help diffuse any static electricity in your hand. If you have too much and you touch the Ram slot, it's possible to fry it. (But don't worry too much, just make sure to touch that metal)

Then just pop out one 1GB and insert the 2GB.

I tried to do this with mine, but then I discovered that because I had a 1st gen MBP it could only handle up to 2GB... I was very very disappointed.:(

Hopefully you will have better luck.:eek:

4. brentg33 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok thanks for the replies....i guess my last question is do you think i will notice that much of a difference between 2gb adn 3gb?
    thanks
    brent

5. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

Well, the answer is it depends, if you use to have a lot of RAM hungry apps open at the same then you probably will, if not then maybe not too much.
    you will anyway save a bit of battery because the increased RAM amount will make for less pages out (writing to HD when RAM is full) :)

6. maddogeco macrumors member

4gb??

hey ive just put 4GB in my MBP but it only supports 3GB is there a update of something to take advantage of the extra gig???
    im running 10.4.11 on a 2.33GHz intel macbookpro

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No updates. It's like expecting a ECU software update on your car to give you an extra cylinder; wishful thinking eh?

8. maddogeco macrumors member

i heard the hardware could handle 3.3gb of ram but apple made the software only run 3gb because to get that extra 300mb out of the system you would have to waste 700mb (obviously needing 4gb to get that). That 300mg could be handy when i'm rendering stuff. Wow now all i want is another cylinder in my camry cheers mate

9. brentg33 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok, so i bought Samsung 2GB DDR2 PC2-5300 667MHz DIMM to add to my MBP....i imagine right now it has 2 sticks of 1GB installed ( i got it with 2GB ) so does it matter which 1gb stick i replace so that i can put in the 2gb and get it up to 3gb? thanks
    also on a scale of 1-10, how hard is it to install on the mbp?
    thanks

10. Archangel959 macrumors newbie

You are correct, 99% sure it should have 2 1gb sticks in there.

No, it doesnt matter which one you take out.

And from scale of 1-10 I'd say it's probably a 2 or a 3. It's really very simple. No software updates, firmware updates or anything fancy. If you can use a screwdriver and have fingertips you can do this upgrade. The hardest part to me is just buying the right Ram.

(note my post earlier in this thread about for details about installation)

Good luck =).

11. Archangel959 macrumors newbie

12. ncmason macrumors regular

ncmason

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

IF I had to guess, the Apple RAM is probably Samsung memory as well?

It doesn't matter which stick you swap, but I'd just swap out the one on top; that should be slot A.

Scale: 1 for me, 2 average.