Adding Ram question

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by iRach, Dec 30, 2009.

1. iRach macrumors member

iRach

My Macbook has 2gb, I will change it to 4gb eventually. Can I book it in to the Genius bar for them to do it as I am not confident enough to do it myself?
    Also, will I need to back everything up before I have it done?

2. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

The Genius bar might do it for you (you'll just have to ask), but installing RAM is so easy, after you watched them do it you would almost certainly feel like you wasted your time not doing it yourself. Check out Apple's support articles and you'll see how simple it is.

As for backing up, it's always a good idea to back up your computer, but I've never bothered to do a backup specifically because I was installing new RAM. If there's a problem with the new chips, you can always remove them and everything will (or at least, should) work the same as before.

3. iRach thread starter macrumors member

iRach

4. fluffyx macrumors 6502

The Genius Bar can be an unbeatable resource, but they're probably not the best folks to go to for a RAM upgrade. They're pretty expensive for RAM upgrades.

Where are you located? You can go to http://www.apple.com/buy/locator/service/ , put in your zip code, and call the Apple-Authorized Service Providers near you to see what they would charge for a RAM upgrade.

You shouldn't have to pay more than $140 for an upgrade to 4 GB. (parts and labor).

5. iRach thread starter macrumors member

iRach

I'm in the UK and have an Apple store about half an hour away. Apart from them I didn't know where else to go.

6. fluffyx macrumors 6502

In that case, try the following address, and choose "You want to… Find Service":
    http://www.apple.com/uk/buy/locator/

You can always use Google Local search or the phone book to find Mac repair shops who will be happy to install RAM at competitive prices.

I'm not sure of Apple's UK prices, but Apple Stores here would charge $230 + tax to upgrade to 4 GB RAM. It's rather outrageous, and a good Genius will even suggest you go somewhere else rather than pay those prices.

Best of luck!