Adding RAM this week

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by NightwalkerUK, Mar 8, 2009.

1. NightwalkerUK macrumors member

Well after two failed MBP purchases, first with screen issues and the second having a bent chassis I decided that the only real machine for me was the Macpro as it meant i could then retire the G5 dual.

I opted for a great deal on the 08 quad 2.4 which I am hoping will keep me going for a couple more years. The Macpro obviously comes with 2GB ram which isnt enough so I have ordered some more tonight from crucial, I have gone for the 4GB kit (2x2GB) and am wondering how this should be installed?and after reading some posts etc I am not sure I will have the optimum setup?

Any advice welcome.

Just to add, cant believe how much quicker this beast is when compared to the g5 and the 2.5 MBP

Mike

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

You take the 1GB DIMM out of riser A (the top one) and put it on riser B then put both 2GB DIMMs on riser A. All in slots 1 and 2.

3. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

put the 2x2 in the empty riser card in the same spots (1 & 2) as the stock RAM. Then, put the riser with 2x2 on top and the 2x1 on the bottom.

edit: wait. does the mac pro come with one stick in slot 1 on riser A and one stick in slot 1 on riser B?

4. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Yeah, as I understand it, your system likes to see 4 chips of the same type at the same time if it can. For that to happen you need to populate A1 and A2, B1 and B2 (where A it the upper tray and B is the lower tray). And then the second 4 (but you only have 2) in A3 and A4, B3 and B4.

Keep the current ram where it is (A1 & A2, B1 & B2) and add your two new DIMMs in A3 and A4. That way it will have the fastest access to the 1st 2GB and the next 4GB will be wait-stated (a tiny tad slower).

Of course this is assuming Apple is still populating it's 2GB orders with four 512MB chips as they used to do in 07.

If they have 2x1GB DIMMs in A1 and A2 just do what's posted above :D

---------
    Congratz on the new box BTW! :)

5. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Which is it for the 08 machines anyway? 2x1GB or 4x512MB?

What's yours?

6. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

2x1GB

7. NightwalkerUK thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the help guys, just wanted to be clear on what i was doing and how best to optimise the system.

For reference the 08 Macpro's come with 2 x 1 GB one in each of the risers.