Adding RAM to a Mid-2007 2.4gHz 20" iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by scoostraw, Jul 1, 2016.

1. scoostraw macrumors newbie

I recently acquired a Mid-2007 2.4gHz 20" iMac (738028K9X86).

It currently has 3GB of RAM (one 1GB and one 2GB card). The official Apple maximum appears to be 4GB, but apparently 6GB works also.

My question is... would it be better to take it to 4GB and have the cards equal in size (2 x 2GB) or take it to 6GB and have the cards unequal in size (one 2GB and one 4GB card)? Supposedly the system runs marginally faster with the cards 'balanced'.

If anyone has any actual experience with performance I'd be interested in hearing about it. I normally run apps like photoshop, filemaker, browsers and the like.

2. thats all folks macrumors 6502a

thats all folks

you are correct that a matched pair could be faster but I think Photoshop and FileMaker will be much happier with the additional RAM.

3. scoostraw thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what I was thinking.

Does it make a difference which slot has the larger card?

4. robvas macrumors 68020

Yes, you have to use the first slot

Worst case you are looking at 1-4% performance loss by going single-channel vs dual-channel. But 6GB is going to be faster than 4GB in real-world use ;)

5. scoostraw thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Rob. I think these machines came with 1GB standard - one 1GB card in the first slot. When you say you have to use the first slot, I'm not sure what you mean exactly with regard to upgrading to 6GB.

The everymac site says "Apple officially supports 4 GB of RAM, but third-parties have been able to upgrade the system to 6 GB of RAM using one 2 GB and one 4 GB SO-DIMM module." I guess my question is - does it matter which slot has 2 and which has 4?

6. deviant macrumors 65816

Try both dude. It doesn't bite. Anyway, that 4Gb stick is gonna cost you more than a 250gb ssd

7. scoostraw thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh great. So that's why there isn't one already in there...

8. deviant macrumors 65816

i believe that at the time 2gb sticks were the maximum. years after they made 4gb sticks but, for example, here in italy it's 70 euros. meanwhile i bought the newest ddr4 16gb (8+8) for 63. lol.

9. scoostraw thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup. $95 from macsales. About 50 bucks for a generic from China on eBay.

That's about half of what I spent on the entire system. I think for now I'll just bump up from 3GB to 4GB.

10. deviant macrumors 65816

4gb+SSD is the sweet spot. Ssd is no ram but in case of swapping it helps ..

11. Trebuin macrumors 65816

Trebuin

I have the same iMac with 6gb upgraded from 4gb. It really helps with the newer OSs.

12. scoostraw thread starter macrumors newbie

Nice system. And a 256GB SSD also I see. I would imagine you're pretty happy with your performance?

So you really noticed a difference going from 4GB to 6GB RAM.. I can get a 2GB stick for about 11 bucks, but that only takes me from 3GB to 4GB. It's probably what I'll do for now tho.

Is there a reason you have not upgraded to El Capitan?

13. Trebuin macrumors 65816

Trebuin

Actually, I have upgraded, and with parallels, I need every bit of that 6GB. If you run parallels, the system will show its age.

14. deviant macrumors 65816

Yeah VMware became really laggy after Mavericks. I guess Yosemite and El Capitan eats a lot of graphical resources so stuff lags inside vm