Adding Ram To G3

CommonMan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
Midwest
I've got a Blue and White PowerMac G3 (Yosimite) and I'd like to beef up the RAM. Is this as easy as it is with PCs? What kind of RAM should I get?

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
CommonMan said:
I've got a Blue and White PowerMac G3 (Yosimite) and I'd like to beef up the RAM. Is this as easy as it is with PCs? What kind of RAM should I get?
You need to run PC100 or compatible PC133 memory in a Yosemite (B&W)

No larger than 256mb 168 pin DIMM
NON-ECC
UNBUFFERED
SDRAM

ddekker

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2006
Michigan
ram

I own two what look to be identical G3 imacs and upgraded the ram in the first to 256 meg (2 128 meg sticks), then on the second I went with a 256 and a 128, it still only saw total of 256, so I swapped chips around, and the machine number one recognizes the 256 meg stick while machine number one thinks its a 128...odd, but it seems like back when I did it there was an "A" and a "B" style machine in the same generation, so I chalk it up to its old stuff and I just deal with it... they have come a long ways since then, my powerbook rocks, and now its old...lol... check out my other Trials of swithing to a mac on my site..

D

CommonMan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
Midwest
Thanks to ALL

Thank you everyone who helped answer my question. I will probably go to CompUSA and hope that they have the PC133 memory for a reasonable price.
I wonder if I can get it for under $25?:)

kondspi

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2006
NC
You can.
Ask for PC100. It's always B+W compatable, as opposed to some of the other stuff.