Adding RAM to Macbook.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mikka000, Feb 17, 2010.

1. mikka000 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, I bought a new MacBook in December last year running Snow leopard 2.26Ghz 2 GB mem 1067 MHz DDR3. model number A1342. I am interested in adding more RAM to it to increase its speed but I am not sure what specifications the RAM should have or where I should buy it from (a reputable place I can trust).

Does anyone have any specifics on what RAM i should get for this Mac model and a good place to buy it from?

Thank you very much in advance.

Michael.

2. miiles macrumors regular

I would just check out Crucial, they have a small app you can download that will point you to the exact RAM that you need.

I've purchased from Crucial for my own computers and I have never had any problems.

3. lokster macrumors 6502

lokster

dont buy from crucial they are way expensive.

look at newegg.com and buy from there, 4gb is around 70-100$ and even more expensive since its DDR3. which is the type

what is most important when looking for a ram is the

1. number of pins
    2. the speed (usually like PC2-5300,1066,4200 etc..)
    3. type (DDR2, DDR3)

once youve figured that you can buy your ram with confidence

4. mikka000 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for your reply. i was just wondering, in the 'about this mac' on my computer, it says i am using 2x 1GB 1067 DDR3 RAM. is it just a case of buying 2x 2GB RAM with the same Mhz and DDR type as above? i just want to make sure that what i get is compatible with my MacBook. I bought it in Dec 2009, it's a white unibody. and are OWC any good?

thanks!

Michael.

5. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a

NewbieNerd

Yep, any DDR3 SO-DIMMs will work, whether it's 1067, 1333, or 1600. You can think of those numbers as top speeds - your mac is running at 1067, so you can put any of those 3 in there without a loss of speed. You'll also see stuff like PC3 8500, 10660, and 12800 - just don't pay any attention to those numbers. Again, any DDR3 SO-DIMMs will work.

Buying RAM from OWC is perfectly fine, and plenty of people here (including myself) have bought RAM (and other stuff) from OWC. They're legit.

As someone else recommended, NewEgg is good. I've ordered stuff from them many times, no problems. Here's a link for RAM you can choose from (compare prices and reviews): http://tinyurl.com/yf33qs9. I hope that link still works, and I hope I've helped a little.

Feel free to post a link here to what you're thinking of buying if you want to be 100% sure it'll work.

6. mikka000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey thanks so much for your reply. It was really clear and helpful. I ended up going with OWC as I found their prices to be pretty good and they seemed legit too. i'm willing to pay a bit more money for confidence in my purchase :D so yeah i don't have any awesome new links or places to buy RAM. when i get it and install it i'll know if i've done the right thing.

thanks again for your help!

Michael.

7. AstrosFan macrumors 6502

AstrosFan

The other nice thing about OWC (& several other places) is that they guarantee their RAM for life. If it fails a year from now, you can send it back & they'll send you a replacement.

I don't know if it's 100% mandatory, but it's probably a good idea to make sure you keep your receipt in a safe place.

Best wishes!

8. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

Glad you got sorted, but just for future reference if others are in a similar situation to myself.

I live in a country where English is not the first language, so I just took out the current RAM in my MB with me, showed it to a guy in a tech store and he got the gist - I made sure that if there was a prob I could exchange. They say a picture is worth a 1000 words, well the actual device/hardware is worth millions :)

9. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Did you ever consider contacting Apple to ask them? That might have saved a trip to this forum.

Just a thought.

10. mikka000 thread starter macrumors newbie

well it's either a trip to apple or a trip here. they're both trips and take time.
    much of a muchness really.

11. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1651

It took me 1 minute, 20 seconds to find this.