Adding RAM to MacMini, do both RAM modules need to match?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by nplima, Aug 18, 2008.

1. nplima macrumors 6502a

Hi all,

I have this 1.42GHz G4 Mac Mini that my mother uses for very basic stuff but still gets bogged down by skype videoconferencing or by having more than a couple of tabs open on the browser. I was thinking of adding some RAM to its original 512MB (DDR 3200 on 1 module).

I checked prices on Ebuyer and 1GB of DDR3200 SODIMM will set me back £26 while a DDR4200 module of the same capacity will cost £13. I was wondering if it would be OK to mix the 2 memory types and get 1.5GB, or if I should replace the original RAM completely.

Any thoughts?

thanks

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Non- issue, there is only one RAM socket in a G4 Mini. Your maximum is 1 GB with a 1 GB DDR-400 (PC3200) DIMM

Guides : Mac Hardware : Buying RAM

3. nplima thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for that, especially for the link. It answers my follow up question...

:(:(:(:(

I'm torn with the notion that a perfectly nice computer will eventually go to waste because of forced upgrades to something seemingly simple like videoconferencing.

4. LinMac macrumors 65816

Perfectly nice computers are thrown away every day because they are infected with malware. I would be thankful that the computer has been very useful even beyond its intended lifespan. It seems to have been a decent computer. :D

5. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

who throws away a computer because of malware? Isn't that throwing the baby out with the bathwater? Ever hear of reformat/re-install as a solution?

6. nplima thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah, but not-so-savvy users are easily tempted to spend 300 for a brand new PC instead of 100 for an hour of work on a machine that is 2x slower than the model of the current year.

Since I don't want to be confused with those not-so-savvy ;) I'm trying to tweak this installation a bit to keep this MacMini active. I have a surplus PC but the mini will certainly demand a smaller effort to maintain, me being in a different country and all...

The webcam software allows setting the resolution for something lower than 320x240 but somehow that setting is not carried over to Skype... must investigate :p