Adding RAM to new MBP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lazarusbf, Apr 16, 2010.

1. lazarusbf macrumors member

lazarusbf

Hello
    i'm about to order a new (17") MBP and obviously will take the 4Go model and
    add myself another extra 4Go.

can anyone recommend model/brand/site to order this ?

i'm living in Europe but site should be in the USA as i'm ordering it on the US AppleStore to have it (and the RAM as well) delivered to my friend's who lives in Pittsburgh and brings all back to me over here in May.

thanks for your advice

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You could try Crucial or Newegg. On Newegg, don't limit yourself to "Mac memory", as anything with the right type/speed/latency/etc. will get the job done. However, the iMac uses laptop memory, not desktop memory, so be sure to look in the right category. As for brands... some reputable ones are Crucial, Corsair, Kingston, Patriot, G.SKILL, and Mushkin. Just go by Newegg's customer ratings.

3. lazarusbf thread starter macrumors member

lazarusbf

I'm talking of adding it to a MBPro. :rolleyes:

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Dur. Literacy fail. In that case, all of my advice stands, except your laptop in fact requires laptop memory. ;)

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Note you can't add 4Gb: you have to take the 4Gb out and put 8Gb in. The laptop has 2 slots and it ships with 2x2Gb sticks. If you want 8Gb you need to buy 2x4Gb (or just order it with 8Gb: I did with my new 15" as I could not find anywhere in the UK to buy 2x4Gb cheaper than the upgrade price).