Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

minus.toes

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
I ordered my Retina iMac with 16gb of ram from Apple. I know of the talk about matching ram sticks and all that, so I'm wondering with that in mind, if wanting to one day bump up to 32gb of ram (adding another 2 8gb sticks), can I just order 2 x 8gb sticks from somewhere, or would it be that I need to purchase a fresh set of 4 x 8gb sticks?

With OWC, Crucial and Kingston being the forerunners of Mac memory, do any of these actually make the exact same ram that's installed in Retina iMacs? I don't mean the manufacturer, I mean running the exact same tech specs which Apple recommends/uses. I read a few articles that OWC is slightly different or Crucial is a little different.

Thanks all.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
You can add to the RAM Apple has already installed with a matched pair of 1600 MHz 204-pin DDR3 memory modules. I would recommend Crucial simply because their RAM is the closest to what Apple uses and the least expensive, but OWC or Kingston would also work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.