Adding RAM to Retina iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by imanidiot, Jan 26, 2015.

1. imanidiot macrumors 6502a

I've been chatting with Crucial, apparently there are two memory modules available for the new iMac, one high-density, the other low-density. Apple does not specify which the stock RAM is (which I want to add to, from the stock 8GB to 16GB). Is one to be preferred over the other? Does it matter? Both are the same price, BTW.

Thanks.

2. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I purchased 16GB of Crucial from Amazon last March to add to the 16GB of Apple stock (Elpida) RAM in my Late 2013 iMac. I was initially shipped the low density (16 chips) variant and I ended up with kernel panics. I returned it for a replacement which turned out to be high density and haven't had a single problem since.

That alone is far from evidence that the density had any relevance to the problems, except that I've read of others having stability issues with the low density Crucial. Of course, YMMV.

Stranger still, the stock Apple Elpida is low density. But, as mentioned, I've been running strong at 32GB for almost a year now.

3. retinaimac macrumors member

retinaimac

4. BlakeBrattina macrumors 6502a

Glad I read that, I've been wondering if it would be sufficient to continue using my 16GB already in my machine and just adding another 16GB, and how they would mesh together.