Adding Raptor to Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Clydefrog, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Clydefrog macrumors 6502a

Clydefrog

Hello, i recently bought a WD Raptor 150gb HD, and was planning to install it tomorrow in my mac pro. My question is once I install it in one of the bay drives, do i need to format or do anything of sort? I just plan on having it as a rip drive.

-clydefrog

2. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

It does not hurt to do a quick format. This will take about 30 Sec.

3. Clydefrog thread starter macrumors 6502a

Clydefrog

so all i have to do is to say go into disk utility and just do a quick format for my new drive

4. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

Yep! go4it :p

5. ideasman69 macrumors member

ideasman69

raptor as a rip drive? thats silly..

make it ur primary drive and stick osx on it. your system will fly. use ur current drive as a data / rip drive.

6. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

I use my Raptor for scratch, cache and temporary files and stuff. Makes my Proapps much snappier. Are they gonna make any larger Raptors anytime soon?

7. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

I highly doubt it since the newer 7200rpm drives have caught up to it in speed. I don't see any reason to dump money on raptors any more... which is a good thing. However, I still use mine 'cause I don't want to buy another drive.

8. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

The higher capacity drives (750GB and 1.000GB) are indeed nearly the same performance these days.

9. Blogger macrumors 6502

Yes, but imagine what 10,000 RPM (or preferably 15,000) versions of those would be like.
    Hard drives are still by far the slowest element in modern computers.

I don't suppose we'll see massive speed-ups until everything is solid state.
    They're not particularly fast now, but they have much more scope for big speed increases in the future.

10. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Yes, but if you make it your primary drive, it will definitely make Safari seem snappier.

11. JeffDM macrumors 6502a

I had a 150GB Raptor at one time, but I could not push it to consistently best the speed of a stripe on 2x 250GB 7200RPM drives, which were a lot cheaper and gave me better storage. It didn't change the boot time either, when used as a primary drive. The Raptor is irritatingly loud in comparison too. I just didn't see it worth the money, and I still don't. I think the money is much better spent on 500GB or larger 7200RPM drives.

12. JeffDM macrumors 6502a

They're not even available in that size, and the faster drives are a little different. 300GB in 10k is $375 and up, in 15k it is $600, and not available in SATA or SAS form factor.

Solid state drives still aren't a panacea either. They might spec out well, but in actual practice, don't have a significant speedup compared to any current drives other than the 1.8" drives.

13. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

That's pretty much the consensus these days - but a striped array is 100% less reliable than a single drive, so I'd prefer to have a Raptor or other single high-performance drive in that case.

Right now I'm running two Hitachi 7K250 250GB SATA drives, and I've resisted the urge to do a RAID 0 for just that reason.

14. Blogger macrumors 6502

JeffDM,

That's why I said "Imagine". Larger drives have much higher data density, so at higher speeds they would be much faster.

Re: solid state drives, perhaps you should re-read what I wrote.

15. JeffDM macrumors 6502a

Yes, but I still think it's meaningless because it's a treadmill problem. The higher RPM seems to exact a stiff capacity penalty. Improve on that, and it looks like it would improve the capacity of lower RPM drives at least as much.

I really don't see anything that would change in the future either.

16. Blogger macrumors 6502

Granted. But WD doesn't seem interested in perpendicular recording for the Raptors.

They're up to 200MB/s Read and 100 MB/s write already, it should get a lot higher over the next few years. Have a look here:
    <http://www.stec-inc.com/product_search/sata_100to200_35_25.php>