Adding songs to the iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sdao, Sep 15, 2007.

1. Sdao macrumors 6502

Is there a reason I cant manually drag songs from my music library in iTunes and drop them onto my iPhone?

Edit: Or is it meant to be that way? Am I supposed to only upload playlists?

2. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

Only playlists - for now. I noticed the iPod Touch lets you manually put songs on it (but does not support disk mode). I guess this feature will be added in the next update since both run the same OS (in addition the syncing support page on Apple's website is for both the iPhone and the iPod Touch).

Attached Files:

3. nismo macrumors member

I don't have an iPhone yet but when you sync it doesn't it take all your albums with the album artwork for coverflow and bring it your iphone?

4. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

Yes just like an iPod - but I have 80 Gigs of music not 8 - so I sync with a playlist (my 80 gig iPod has all the music and syncs back my ratings and I use a smart playlist to sync only albums and songs with a rating of 5 to the iPhone)

5. samiwas macrumors 65816

How the hell does anyone actually have 80 gigs of music? That averages out to 16,000 songs! Even if you listened to music all day every day for 16 hours a day, it would take you almost 3 months to get back to where you started. I've always wondered about this.

I worked with a guy whose sole purpose in life was to have every song ever recorded on his computer. Why? Because he thought that meant he won a prize or something for having the most music. He asked everyone, without ever looking at their library, if he could get their whole library from them. He had stuff on there he would never consider listening to, but hey...he had it! And then there was another guy I worked with who would put his ipod on Shuffle and we'd have to listen to hard metal followed by opera followed by boy band followed by country. God that was annoying.

I'm all for having a wide music taste, but I don't believe that someone can possibly like every single type of music that there is. Yeah I don't get that.

6. Jade Cambell macrumors 6502

I noticed that there's no way to search by Album on the iPhone. I find that very disturbing. If I create a large playlist with all the music that I want on my iPhone in it, and then copy that playlist to my iPhone, will the phone even distinguish between artists when it's one massive playlist?

I want to be able to take a chunk of my library, and put it on the iPhone, the same way it would be put on an iPod. iTunes NEEDS multiple libraries.

7. makismagoo99 macrumors regular

makismagoo99

Yes you can. You can either (a) browse in coverflow, or (b) choose the "More" option in the bottom right and go to albums. If you like to browse by album, you can add the "Albums" view to the shortcuts. I just made a playlist called "iPhone" and synched it to the iPhone, and it works great.

8. Jade Cambell macrumors 6502

Oh okay, great. I'm planning on buying an iPhone once they go 16GB, and I always felt weird about this issue. Glad to know that they've done it right.

9. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

Well some things maybe are not for you to "get"?

Almost all of my music comes from only two types of music (electronic/progressive and pop). I have over 300 Depeche Mode CD's - some of the songs are 45 minutes long. I only have just over 12,000 songs in my collection. And yes I own every CD for the music in my iTunes collection except for my iTunes downloads.

10. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

I can safely say you are not a fan of the Grateful Dead. 30 years of concerts add up!

11. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

"Back in the day" ( :) ) we didn't have the luxury to download songs individually (be it legally or illegally) and had to buy the entire CD - even if we only wanted one song. My music catalog is over 20,000 items and god knows how many gigabytes (must be clearing three digits by now), yet the majority of it is stuff I have never listened to more then once (if that). So my 8GB iPhone is plenty to carry my "usual hits".

With HDD drive so cheap, it's just more effective to rip my entire collection rather then just the songs I want and archive it. Free's up a wall. :D Next up, I plan to get a couple TB in an array and rip my entire DVD collection so I can free up another wall. :D

12. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

I have no problems with gigantic music collections. I dont have anywhere near as much as some people in this thread, but its way bigger than will fit on my iphone. What I find kind of dumb is the idea that you have to have EVERY song/video/movie in your pocket at all times. Every iteration of the ipod is bigger than the last, yet there are always people saying "well IF only it were 200gb Id buy one."

Yes, there is the argument "if it can be done why not?" But I just dont see any reason a person has to carry their entire collection with them at all times.

Ok, I just checked. My music collection is just shy of 40gb. Until just about a year ago my only iPod was a 10gb version and it always had about 1gb free. I have a 30gb video now with 17gb free.

13. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

In addition, you can also customize what 4 buttons appear on the bottom in 'iPod' mode (All of them except "More", which always appears.) For example, I have: "Albums", "Audiobooks", "Podcasts", and "Video" as my four. If I really want to search by Artist, Playlist, Genre, or Song, I can still tap "More", and get to them.

14. samiwas macrumors 65816

You fall into a different category. You have a large chunk of the same type (even band) of music. And you also regulate your use and were not bitching about the iPhone's lack of capacity. THOSE are the people that bug me, and the people who have music for the sake of saying how big their library is.

Actually not a Grateful Dead fan, although a huge fan of many of the following jam bands. Many songs over 20 mins. I just haven't taken the time to download a whole lot of shows. Maybe 10 from one band, 5 from another, etc.