Adding springboard background image without winterboard?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Johnny Quest, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Johnny Quest macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I was recently reading that winterboard is known to slow down the iPhone slightly (though I don't know how much of an issue this is on a 3GS). Since I'm not wanting to change the look of the iPhone OS much right now (I mostly want to install the 5 icon dock, categories, and profiles jailbreak apps -- do these work with 3GS?), I was wondering to what extent I can customize the look of things without winterboard. Is it as simple as dragging a few images over into certain folders with SSH? I'm mostly just wanting to put an image behind my icons on the springboard for now.

Thanks!

2. xilni macrumors member

xilni

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Sorry you can't. I found this answer on this thread. linky

4. Johnny Quest thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks jmann; I'd thought that might be the case. It makes sense that app icons can be changed fairly easily, but I guess putting an image somewhere it wasn't originally intended to go is a little more involved. Guess I'll be trying WinterBorad then...

5. RobT macrumors 6502a

RobT

6. darngooddesign macrumors G3

The alleged lag is subjective. What one person considers acceptable another won't.

For me its a non-issue on my GS and I'm running the full Matte UI theme along with regular themes.

Regardless, you can't add a wallpaper behind your icons without WB.

So suck it up and try for yourself. Uninstall if you don't like the results.