Adding SSD to 2010 iMac, which drive + where to put boot camp

Discussion in 'iMac' started by k.kincaid, Oct 25, 2013.

1. k.kincaid macrumors newbie

Hi
    New to this forum, would like to know

Im looking to add a SSD to 2010 iMac by removing optical drive, so I have a HDD (for storage) and SDD (for OS and applications)

Should I place SSD in primary bay and HDD in optical bay - have read somewhere this can cause problems with motion sensor, temp and fan (but i believe people have been able to overcome)

Or does the mac need to boot from primary drive?

Also can I install boot camp, which drive would it go on, SSD would be great if its poss, dont know if it would if its in optical bay

Finally any specific make/spec I need to consider for the SSD or any extras required for the install

Thanks in advance

2. toddzrx macrumors 6502a

toddzrx

I currently own a 2010 21.5" iMac on which I performed an SSD surgery, the difference being that I replaced the HD with the SSD entirely and left the optical drive alone.

That said, you shouldn't have any fan issues by putting the SSD in place of the optical. There's a temp sensor for the optical drive, but it isn't integrated with the optical drive like it is on the main HD. See this iFixit guide for more:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+In...SD+Dual+Drive+Installation+Replacement/9068/1

You can designate whatever boot drive you want from within system preferences. If you haven't upgraded to Mavericks yet, then I would just do a clean install of Mavericks on the new SSD, then move the apps over to it from the HD.

I've never messed with Boot Camp, but I think you'll need to partition the drive for that. At least, I would.