Adding storage to iphone 6 plus

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by sgadher, May 27, 2015.

1. sgadher macrumors member

Hi All,

Just wanted some advice on how to increase storage for 6plus 64gb.
    I watch a lot of movies on the go using avplayerhd and vlc. Due to the size of the files I end up having to delete and add files on a regular basis.

Can anyone recommend a way to add additional storage? I am not keen on wireless storage devices, I would prefer something that plugs in directly into the iphone.

I have been looking at the scandisk ixpand flash drive and the leef ibridge. I would be keen to know if anyone uses this and what their impressions are. Also it would be good to know if there is a device I can use that will allow me to transfer/view these files via vlc or avplayerhd.

Thanks

S

2. Cptnodegard macrumors 6502

I have the iXpand, but don't use it for what you want to use it for.

I don't think anything exists that will let you see those files in those apps that is not wireless, doesn't require jailbreak, and doesn't require you to transfer the files to the app.

With jailbreak it's easy, as you just get the lightning camera USB adapter, a small, unpowered USB hub (a trick to let the iPhone power more power hungry flash drives) and slap some flash drives in it. Then, in iFile, you create a symbolic link to the flash drive folder in the apps' document folders. The flash drive will then show up as a folder in those apps. UNLESS they removed that ability since last I did it (none of my idevices are jailbroken atm).

A wireless drive is likely your best bet, if it supports a file protocol that lets your media apps connect to it. I used the apps you describe years ago, but long since moved to nPlayer and Infuse, and I know those two support a lot of protocols.

3. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I have the Airstash which creates its own wireless so you can be anywhere and get to your files. You can also allow others to connect as needed. It has a USB also with SD storage so you can pick your amount. I literally use my Airstash all day long in my PC to save files and then I can also get to them from my iPhone or iPad.

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Mophie do a battery case that can add up to 128gb of storage plus a full recharge

5. frifra macrumors 6502a

frifra

All apple SD Card readers work only with iPads, but not iPhones (at least if you don't have a jailbreak.

you could use e.g. a Mifi like the ZTE Mf60 which let's you use another sim card for internet/3G and it holds a micro sd card which you can access from your iphone. But I am not sure if you can access it via vlc, for sure with the browser.

6. Juarez7514 macrumors member

I had the ixpand Returned it. Wanted it to store movies but it didn't work out how I wanted it.

7. Pat too macrumors member

I'm using the Leef iBRIDGE and I find it really handy for transferring files from other computers. If your video files are mp4 or MKV then the iBRIDGE app will play them directly. For more obscure formats like RMVB then you need to transfer the file first and then 'open in' VLC, Buzz player etc. A few things I dislike: USB 2 speed and only FAT32 compatible (I believe that this is a limitation of the iPhone/iPad itself - they cannot read HFS+ or NTFS).