Adding Time Capsule wirelessly to WRT54G Network

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ryansusername, Mar 2, 2011.

1. ryansusername macrumors newbie

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knows if this is possible, and how to do it.

Basically, I have a WRT54G router as the main network (connected to internet and other machines), and I want to add the TC to that network wirelessly, then connect via my Macbook through the TC to the WRT54G.

So it looks like:
    Macbook ->(wifi)-> TC (Time Machine/Printer/Attached HDs) ->(wifi and other computers)-> WRT54G -> (internet).

I tried doing "Bridge Mode", but I couldn't get it to work wirelessly.

Thanks!

2. jenzjen macrumors 68000

I could be wrong, but you can't use the TC in bridge mode over wifi. To accomplish what you need is another Apple wireless product, so I'd replace the WRT with the TC and buy a refurbished Express for your 2nd element.

Setup the Express to extend the network created by the TC, and you should be good. If the Express can't extend a network, you'll need an Extreme, as I know for certain those can.

Again, I could be wrong but think this is the only way - or at least the easiest way for me.

3. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

You can setup a TC to extend a wireless net work as desired, but the WRT54G might not support it. I have an Airport Extreme as my main router, and a TC that extends it. I mostly connect my wireless devices to the TC, and it works very well.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

If your WRT54G is one of the linux based models you might be able to enable WDS using DD-WRT or some other third party firmware. However, I gave up on this myself a long time ago and replaced my WRT54G with an Airport Extreme precisely for this use. (My Time Capsule was in the living room and had a bunch of clients connected to it both wired and wireless.)

Is there any way you can run wired ethernet between the two routers? This would definitely work.

B