Adding TV Shows to iTunes Library

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rtdgoldfish, Oct 25, 2007.

1. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

So before I installed Leopard, I had a ton of TV shows that I had ripped from DVDs and were nicely organized as TV shows in iTunes. Now, after doing a fresh install of Leopard and getting my iTunes library back together, all of my TV shows are showing up in the "Movies" section of iTunes.

I know to change a video from a "Movie" to a "TV Show" just requires selecting the correct option from a pull down menu but does anyone know if there is a way to select a LOT of videos and apply this option to all of them at once?? Right now I am having to select each video and then click the next button. Its going to take me a year to do this, I've got about a dozen different TV shows on here all with multiple seasons.

I tried to do an Automator action but that didn't work so well...Any help would be wonderful!

2. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Doug's applescripts for itunes - this one in particular. Let us know if it works with Leopard.

3. rtdgoldfish thread starter macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

Sweet, just what I was looking for. Took a few minutes to run with so many video files but worked perfectly.

Thanks!!

BTW, yes this works in Leopard!

4. reubs macrumors 68000

Thanks for this link. Exactly what I was looking for!

5. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

An alternate suggestion if I may...

Get MetaX instead (free, but try and throw the guy $5 or $10 if you can).

I believe the reason your shows went into the movies section in the first place was that iTunes keeps some meta data in it's XML file (in this case the "I'm a TV Show" setting).

If you tag your files in MetaX instead, I'm not sure how, but somehow it embeds the "I'm a TV show" flag in the file itself.

So if you ever have to add it to a new iTunes library, it'll go to TV Shows natively (without you having to do this all over again).

Besides, with MetaX you can edit a bunch more tags that you can't edit other wise. Descriptions, encoding tool used, production company / studio, anything that's available.

Somebody here turned me onto MetaX and I can't recommend it enough if you're tagging lots of content.

6. noall666 macrumors newbie

Got a slight problem. I love the software, BUT . I changed a file to a video tag and when it was done. it disappeared from the movie folder and did NOT show up in the tv shows folder. SO, were did it go....
    apple mac. g4 powerbook aluminum. os 10.4.11 itunes 7.6.2
    thx . hopefully we can find the video?
    Sry . I was using dougs applescript....I did some more. but no luck...trying a few more things.....keep you posted