Adding up NSNumber's formatted as Currency

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by gijibo, Oct 18, 2010.

1. gijibo macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've been trying desperately to find how to do this.

I have a series of products stored in a dictionary (which comes from a plist), each product as a "Price" key, and a number as its value. Using NSNumberFormatter, I'm able to convert to currency successfully.

How do I add them up?

I have a table view, which lists all the products and their prices in the dictionary, formatted as currency. Outside of the table view but in the same class is a UILabel that I want to display the total price of all the products.

Here is the relevant code under cellForRowAtIndexPath:

Code:
    	NSNumberFormatter *priceFormatter = [[NSNumberFormatter alloc] init];
    	[priceFormatter setNumberStyle:NSNumberFormatterCurrencyStyle];
    	NSString *price = [priceFormatter stringFromNumber:[[orderSummaryDictionary objectForKey:[self.orderSummaryArray objectAtIndex:row]] objectForKey:@"Price"]];
    	[priceFormatter release];

cell.productName.text = [self.orderSummaryArray objectAtIndex:row];
    	cell.productDescription.text = [[orderSummaryDictionary objectForKey:[self.orderSummaryArray objectAtIndex:row]] objectForKey:@"Description"];
    	cell.productPrice.text = price;
    	cell.productImage.image = [UIImage imageNamed:imageFile];
    	cell.productImage.layer.masksToBounds = YES;
    	cell.productImage.layer.cornerRadius = 5.0;

There are two problems: how I add them and how I display the final tally? For the final tally, I need to set the UILabel in ViewDidLoad, but that is called before the above is called. How do I add all the prices, then display that in the UILabel?

Any help would be amazing.

Thanks!!

2. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Why? :confused:

P.S. Remember that Objective-C is case-sensitive. There is no ViewDidLoad.

3. Luke Redpath macrumors 6502a

This doesn't answer your question, but I'd advise against creating a new number formatter each time in tableView:cellForRowAtIndexPath: as it's creation is quite expensive and will affect your table view scrolling performance. Create one once, and re-use it.