Adding USB Ports to Late 2008 MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ryrzy, Nov 24, 2012.

1. ryrzy macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,

When I was using my Late 2008 MacBook, I plugged in a SATA to USB converter, but the voltage was too high and my USB port shorted out! Now, that port does not receive power at all, and OS X gives me two of these errors:

Because a USB device was drawing too much power from your computer, one or more of your USB devices have been disabled.

Now, while my other port still receives power, my devices are not working. :( I am thinking that the logic board must have shorted out, and OS X is disabling both ports, although one of them is working. I have already tried NVRAM, PRAM, and SMC resets.

My question is, can it be possible to replace the DVD drive with a USB hub? This laptop comes without FireWire or expansion ports. Without USB, I cannot make backups of my data on my laptop, or access files from my flash drive.

Thanks.
    ryrzy

2. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Was it a bus-powered SATA adapter or externally powered? Probably overpowered the USB port.

Did you try a SMC reset? Remove battery and hold down the power for 5-10 seconds.

3. ryrzy thread starter macrumors newbie

Externally powered. I had it set to a voltage way too high, there was smoke coming out D:

I already tried all the resets from Apple's help articles, I know somebody who might be able to replace the usb port, so I will have him take a look at it.