Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

About2SwitchOvr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2004
Boston
I've seen so many screenshots of desktops with cool little indicators, like weather, temp, (can't remember the others)... and was wondering where is a good website to get such programs? (unless it's already embedded in Panther.

P.S. I DO sincerely apologize if this is a repost.. I did a search for "temperature" and "weather", and after 5 pages or so.. I honestly did get a bit exhausted...

Screenshots and brief descriptions would be AWESOME! :)

hazmat

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
You have basically three options: Meteorologist, WeatherPop, and WeatherMenu. The two later ones are both really good, but you should try both to see which you prefer. Different options. Neither is free, but both under $10. Meteo used to be very good, and is open source, but the past few versions have had really bad problems in different ways, and development is SLOW. I finally gave up.

You can find all three at your favorite software site.

About2SwitchOvr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2004
Boston
Konfabulator!!

hazmat said:
You have basically three options: Meteorologist, WeatherPop, and WeatherMenu. The two later ones are both really good, but you should try both to see which you prefer. Different options. Neither is free, but both under $10. Meteo used to be very good, and is open source, but the past few versions have had really bad problems in different ways, and development is SLOW. I finally gave up.

Hi guys... I don't know if anyone is still reading this thread, but I found a great little widget with the weather. Has a little icon, temp, and provides more detailed info as well!
And you can attach it to your desktop as well!

live4ever

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2003
Can anyone recommend a menu bar program that monitors CPU temp. I used one from the guy who made Tinkertool but it takes up space in the dock and has its own window.

So what I'm looking for is one that can be turned on via system prefs.

Thanks

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003
About2SwitchOvr said:
Hi guys... I don't know if anyone is still reading this thread, but I found a great little widget with the weather. Has a little icon, temp, and provides more detailed info as well!
And you can attach it to your desktop as well!

Well, where did you get it? :)

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
hazmat said:

Great. Thanks. I just downloaded Weather Menu as it is pretty neat when I travel places since it has info on all kinds of countries. Now I can stop looking at websites... great.

About2SwitchOvr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2004
Boston
tomf87 said:
Well, where did you get it? :)

I'm sorry :p
It's on Konfabulator (I will link it once I get home, and I guess I can take a screenshot of it in REAL use)
I just learned how to take selective Screen Shots (Shift-Command-4) from this forum, which I'm VERY thankful for.
So tune in later :)

JDar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2003
The nice thing about the Konfabulator weather and mini-weather widgets is you can put them anywhere on screen and have multiple copies for cities you wish to follow.

Attachments

• weather.jpg
    weather.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 2,732

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
I downloaded Meteorologist and installed it but had problems with it...I am running Jaguar still (will update next week I hope). Then when I trashed the installer icon DMG thing on the desktop and the whole thing went away. I installed the thing and started having problems setting up the city, etc and it sort of crashed on me quite a bit.

Any ideas?

Johnny

abhishekit

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
akron , ohio
i will second 'Konfabulator' suggestion. Its a great add on. Currently i have the weather, where am i, script bar, werewolf, and better whats going on, widgets on my desktop..its great :D

and as someone asked for an app to get cpu temp, cpu portal widget does that..
cheers

About2SwitchOvr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2004
Boston
Ah! you beat me to it :)

JDar said:
The nice thing about the Konfabulator weather and mini-weather widgets is you can put them anywhere on screen and have multiple copies for cities you wish to follow.

Also, another cool feature, is that you can append it to your desktop!
Also, if you move your mouse over it, a more detailed description pops up (ie. humidity, wind strength, UV levels!)

I only heard about widgets in accounting class, but these types of widgets are.... more fun! :p

Damek

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2003
New York City, USA
Meteo works for me

Meteorologist works for me. It's a little buggy, but in an unintrusive way, and it's free. And since I've just maxed out my credit getting this shiny new iBook & a few necessary softwares, free is good!

The only problem I've had with Meteorologist is that, less than a week after installing it, it stopped being able to get the weather from the wunderground.com server. I checked the sourceforge forum and it turns out everyone is experiencing the same problem. The solution is to switch to using the National Weather Service server. Upon selecting that server for your city, Meteorologist crashes, but then upon restarting, it's using the new server and it works fine.

I do hope it's fixed; now that it's open source I figure it will be. If development ceases I'll just use it until it breaks completely and then look around for something else. I'm cheap like that :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.