Adding words to the dictionary?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yg17, Aug 3, 2008.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Is there a way to manually add words to the spell check dictionary thingy? There's a certain word I type quite often, and my iPhone always insists on replacing it with "duck" and I have to tell it not to. I use this word more often than I use "duck" so it would be nice if, when I type in this word, it would know that it's spelled correctly and let me continue on. Thanks

2. TonyMil macrumors member

Ain't that the ducking truth?

I didn't realize the word was being changed until my wife called me to find out what the duck joke was. When she explained I had been using the word "duck" in some texts I realized something was wrong.

3. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

open a not type it a few times and it should learn it. To test type it wrong put a "d" where the "c" should go and it should offer it as the correction.

4. slapguts macrumors 6502a

slapguts

Send yourself an email from your iPhone with all the words you'd like added.

Ta-da.

5. schatzie macrumors member

What I've experienced is that when you're typing and it makes a suggestion, tap on the suggestion to ignore the suggestion, then it will learn the word you're typing for next time. Of course, that means you have to pay attention to what you're typing and what it's suggesting and not completely trust it. Like in the case of the poster above mentioned. If you hit space it will change it to duck. But if you manage to catch it and click on it to reject it, then I think next time it won't suggest duck anymore. At least that's my experience.

6. lambo macrumors regular

Has anyone been able to make the dictionary learn 'lol' instead of 'LOL'?

I've tried numerous times by ignoring the suggested 'LOL' while typing 'lol' but it still hasn't learned.

7. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

No, I'm definitely clicking on it to use the other word, but it still insists on using "duck"

I'll try the other suggestions, thanks :D

8. schatzie macrumors member

That's odd. I can't make it learn lol instead of LOL no matter how many times I ignore lol. Yet, I don't know it managed to learn to not suggest duck anymore. I think it's because I use it all the time. Hehehehe