Adding www. and .com to link

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by LePigeonBleu, Dec 21, 2009.

1. LePigeonBleu macrumors 6502

Hey!

I am running SL on my Intel MacBook. Since I upgraded to either SL or Safari 4, I have not been able to type a link and have it add www. and .com to the link automatically. For example, typing "google" and having it automatically add the .com to it.

I've done some searching, and found out about OpenDNS. I would much rather not use anything like that to get my .com back. Does anyone know of a way to tweak some settings in Safari or SL to get it to do this automatically again?

Thanks,

m

2. gooostovo macrumors newbie

gooostovo

3. steezy1337 macrumors 6502

ctrl + Enter should do it without going into a new tab

4. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

The www. is not necessary at all, if the site wants to use it it will add it for you. Firefox will work like you want it, just tested it.

5. LePigeonBleu thread starter macrumors 6502

Doesn't work sadly.

apple + enter opens a new tab for me, and still doesn't enter the .com part.

6. steezy1337 macrumors 6502

Are you running the latest version? (4.0.4 i think) just tested it on my iMac and it's working fine, you could always try downloading Safari from Apple's website.

7. LePigeonBleu thread starter macrumors 6502

I am running the latest version, and I did try downloading it from Apple's website and no luck still.

m

8. olvrfshr, Dec 21, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  9. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Firefox uses Google's "I'm feeling lucky" search. For example, typing "Wikipedia" into the address bar will take you to .org not .com. With Keywurl you can set Safari up the same way.

10. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

It should, but it won't always do so. The site admin has to set it up to do so, and too often they do not.

11. RobertD63 macrumors 6502

I have the same problem, and changing those DNS setting seem like a little bit to much work for me, and I might mess something up. Thats scaring me away, is their just a little freeware program? :eek: Asking too much? :p

12. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

http://glimmerblocker.org/

Is a proxy server (sits between your internet and your mac) and will add things like searching from your Safari location bar without resorting to 'hacks'.