Additional Apple TV showing up in AirPlay menu on iMac.

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Chabba, Nov 8, 2015.

1. Chabba macrumors regular

Hello.
    I have a late 2012 27" iMac running El Capitan and an Apple TV 3.
    When the Apple TV 3 is off, I see it listed in the AirPlay menu as a single unit, which it is.

I'm unable to turn on the Apple TV from the menu. I have to get the remote and turn it on.
    When I turn on the Apple TV, I see an additional Apple TV. The second Apple TV (3) eventually disappears and then I'm able to use it as an AirPlay display, to the original Apple TV listed.

So...any ideas why this is happening and how to fix it? I is confuzzled.

Attached Files:

2. dribando macrumors newbie

3. dribando macrumors newbie

I had something similar. I think it had something to do with my router remembering my old aTV3 and not properly recognizing my new aTV4. I fixed it my turning everything off (mac, aTV4, modem, router), then turning all back on. Seemed to fix everything for me.

4. Artimus12 macrumors 6502

Artimus12

There are two ATV4's in my house and I cured the problem of misidentification by renaming one in the menu options, then cycle the ATV and your network connections.

The other possibility [given the lack of detail] is; maybe a close neighbour has an ATV and that's what you're seeing, as there is no distinction between models in the Airplay menu.