Additional backup

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by shankara7, Dec 22, 2011.

1. shankara7 macrumors member

I have an iMac which backs up through Time Machine onto my Time Capsule. I want to make an additional backup onto an external hard drive just in case anything should happen to my iMac or Time Capsule. I would probably do this maybe once or twice a month.
    Should I copy & paste the Time Capsule file or do a Time Machine backup onto the external hard drive?

Thanks in advance for you help.

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Get Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper and Clone the HDD.

3. shankara7 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the response, just to go back to my request would either way I mentioned be possible or would I run into any problems that you could see?

4. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

5. prisstratton macrumors 6502

prisstratton

I have a similar situation. I have a 2 TB Time Capsule and attached to that I have a 2 TB USB Disk (Airport Disk). So far I have used the archive function on the Time Capsule to duplicate everything to the Airport Disk. I have only done this once (so far) so I am unsure what happens if you choose to archive again......i.e., does it make a new fresh archive or does it make an incremental archive. Maybe this is something you can use. I still need to experiment with CCC or SuperDuper in this setup.

6. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

There are some advantages of backing up the Time Machine backup. The Time Machine archive has different versions of files, along side a full copy - which is useful. The problem is that the archive isn't bootable - and I've also found problems in the past making a good backup of all the hard-links used by Time Machine. It doesn't seem to be the most resilient of backup formats.

I would instead do as McGiord suggested and make a bootable copy using CCC or SuperDuper!

It really is incredibly useful to have a bootable version - it's a much quicker way to recover if you experience a crash.

Consider keeping a copy off-site too.