Additional costs of MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by raptorstv, Oct 19, 2012.

1. raptorstv macrumors 6502

I'm planning to get the 11-inch 64gb MBA tonight... I'm just curious how much extra will I have to be paying to get things like MS Office, Windows bootcamp, etc...? What other softwares are necessary?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It depends on what software you need. Many apps have free alternatives.

I prefer MS Office for Mac, for maximum compatibility with Windows users. If you don't want MS Office for some reason, there are many alternatives, such as iWork, NeoOffice, LibreOffice, OpenOffice, Google Docs, etc.

To run Windows apps on your Mac, you need to install Windows via Boot Camp or use Parallels or VMware Fusion.

If you don't have a Windows license, you can use CrossOver to run some applications. Not all Windows apps are compatible with CrossOver. Check their site for compatible apps.

For more information about running Windows on your Mac, check out the Windows, Linux & other on the Mac forum.

For other software recommendations, click the link below:

Helpful Information for Any Mac User

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Necessary software is a matter of personal preference. Bootcamp is built into OS X but you will need to purchase a legitimate copy of Microsoft Windows to put on it.

Then you have the choice of buying Microsoft Office for Windows and/or Microsoft Office for Mac.

4. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Check on the document size you going to useto see if 64GB is enough. Have Windows in addition will consume quite some part of your storage. Or you plan is to connect external disk via TB or USB3; which might be required very soon.

5. raptorstv thread starter macrumors 6502

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

7. raptorstv thread starter macrumors 6502

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As I said, there are cheaper or free alternatives.

9. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Essential software used to come bundled, I don't remember when they started de-bundling them, probably when it dropped below usd$500.

So if ur switching platform, budget in the the apps u now have to switch!

10. jbzcar macrumors regular

With only 64GB, I wouldn't worry to much about Bootcamp...

11. TC25 macrumors 68020

Compared to what? What you paid for your MBA? Hardly.

12. bogatyr macrumors 65816

Pretty cheap compared to most Windows versions of Office.

13. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

In the UK, I got massive discount on Office for Mac because I am a student, it cost me £40 to use on 2 different Mac's. Maybe you have something similar in the US?

14. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

$30 less on Amazon for $89.

You might give the free Libre Office a try to see if it will meet your needs.

15. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

You'll have to get the 128GB MBA if you want to run bootcamp and have disk space for anything. With bootcamp you partition your drive into two parts, one for Mac OS, one for Windows. You can decide how much for each, but even with 128GB, it will probably be pretty tight.

16. A Hebrew macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

DO NOT GET THE 64gb version if you intend to use another OS AT ALL

17. tiwizard macrumors regular

Like everyone else said, do not get the 64 GB version of the Air if you want to use Bootcamp. Even 128 GB might be pushing it depending on how much other stuff you have.

On the up side, Windows 8 is only ~$60 on Amazon if you preorder it... Which, oddly enough, is a lot cheaper than some of the versions of Office. If you're a student, you can always look and see if your IT department offers Office/Windows for free or Microsoft has a student discount as well.

18. Beanoir macrumors 6502a

Beanoir

I got the latest copy for £14 with an educational offer.

And it has to be said, if you are going to run another OS be it by bootcamp or other, you will need to get the 128gb.