Additional costs of MBA?

raptorstv

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
I'm planning to get the 11-inch 64gb MBA tonight... I'm just curious how much extra will I have to be paying to get things like MS Office, Windows bootcamp, etc...? What other softwares are necessary?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I'm planning to get the 11-inch 64gb MBA tonight... I'm just curious how much extra will I have to be paying to get things like MS Office, Windows bootcamp, etc...? What other softwares are necessary?
It depends on what software you need. Many apps have free alternatives.

I prefer MS Office for Mac, for maximum compatibility with Windows users. If you don't want MS Office for some reason, there are many alternatives, such as iWork, NeoOffice, LibreOffice, OpenOffice, Google Docs, etc.

To run Windows apps on your Mac, you need to install Windows via Boot Camp or use Parallels or VMware Fusion.

If you don't have a Windows license, you can use CrossOver to run some applications. Not all Windows apps are compatible with CrossOver. Check their site for compatible apps.

For more information about running Windows on your Mac, check out the Windows, Linux & other on the Mac forum.

For other software recommendations, click the link below:

Helpful Information for Any Mac User

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Necessary software is a matter of personal preference. Bootcamp is built into OS X but you will need to purchase a legitimate copy of Microsoft Windows to put on it.

Then you have the choice of buying Microsoft Office for Windows and/or Microsoft Office for Mac.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
Check on the document size you going to useto see if 64GB is enough. Have Windows in addition will consume quite some part of your storage. Or you plan is to connect external disk via TB or USB3; which might be required very soon.

Mrbobb

macrumors 601
Aug 27, 2012
Essential software used to come bundled, I don't remember when they started de-bundling them, probably when it dropped below usd$500.

So if ur switching platform, budget in the the apps u now have to switch!

jbzcar

macrumors regular
May 11, 2012
With only 64GB, I wouldn't worry to much about Bootcamp...

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
In the UK, I got massive discount on Office for Mac because I am a student, it cost me £40 to use on 2 different Mac's. Maybe you have something similar in the US?

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
You'll have to get the 128GB MBA if you want to run bootcamp and have disk space for anything. With bootcamp you partition your drive into two parts, one for Mac OS, one for Windows. You can decide how much for each, but even with 128GB, it will probably be pretty tight.

tiwizard

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
Like everyone else said, do not get the 64 GB version of the Air if you want to use Bootcamp. Even 128 GB might be pushing it depending on how much other stuff you have.

On the up side, Windows 8 is only ~$60 on Amazon if you preorder it... Which, oddly enough, is a lot cheaper than some of the versions of Office. If you're a student, you can always look and see if your IT department offers Office/Windows for free or Microsoft has a student discount as well.

Beanoir

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2010
51 degrees North
I got the latest copy for £14 with an educational offer.

And it has to be said, if you are going to run another OS be it by bootcamp or other, you will need to get the 128gb.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.