Additional Dictionaries for Pages

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DyslexicMot, Nov 8, 2008.

1. DyslexicMot macrumors newbie

I am looking for some sort of add-on that will expand the Language options within Pages, will run within Pages and provide spellcheck and other proofing options for Turkish.

Pages için bir spellcheck sozluğu arıyorum. Pages içinde bir Türkçe sozluk yok. O çeşit bir şey biliyormusun?

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

You can change the Pages dictionary language by opening up Inspector, clicking on the Text Inspector section, then clicking to the More tab. Under that More tab, where it says Language you can switch it from All to a different language. I don't know if Turkish is one of the languages for certain, but it should be. If you want to change the universal dictionary for the entire computer system, that can be accomplished in the System Preferences->International pane. Go to the Language tab, select Edit list, click the checkmark next to Turkish, click ok, and then back on the Language screen, drag Turkish to the top of that list.

3. DyslexicMot thread starter macrumors newbie

In the Languages tab there are 14 languages - although 4 are varients of English and Turkish is not among the choices.

I have enabled keyboard switching and have my International preferences set for Turkish in Languages and Turkey in Formats.

Curiously, even Pages itself knows a bit of Turkish when these settings are employed: the task bar will display Kalin for Bold and a few other bits of Turkish.

For XP, I had some little dot something that I simply dragged into the system folder containing dictionaries and it functioned seamlessly with all Office applications as a spell and context checker:

Attached Files:

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Hi again, did a bit more research, found CocoAspell. It does require you to download some additional dictionaries from an FTP site. The dictionary abbreviation "Tr" is for Turkish according to the post I found about this on the Apple Discussions thread for which I include the URL below: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=7256650

5. DyslexicMot thread starter macrumors newbie

Aspell no, but solution found

Yes I found Aspell too, downloaded the program, downloaded, unzipped and installed and activated the dictionary with no success. Then I found this note on the download site:

Problem:
    cocoAspell does not work with Pages. Pages ignores the language specified in the Spelling window and uses the language settings from the "More" tab in the Inspector panel. In my opinion this is a gross inconsistency with the normal user interface experience. The conclusion is that you can use cocoAspell with Pages if you are lucky to be using one of the Apple defined languages.

cocoAspell version affected: all

In the meantime I found this on a Turkish language Mac forum: Türkçe Araçlar (Turkish Tools) from ideaStrata İş Geliştirme Ofisi / info@ideastrata.com and downloaded it from:

http://rapidshare.com/files/89411218/Turkce_Araclari-1.0.1.dmg

The installation pops the dictionary right into the list and so far it is working with both Pages and this form and so I would assume mail and other programs work too.