Additional Ethernet ports for Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MiamiC70, Feb 24, 2015.

1. MiamiC70 macrumors regular

Is there a more elegant way to add more Ethernet ports for a current generation time capsule besides daisy chaining a switch to it? Why does Apple not add more ports to their routers or at least offer an add on switch.

2. dyt1983, Feb 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying information not relevant to the thread.

3. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Because the Airports are first and foremost, wifi base stations. The TC adds the secondary function of being a NAS for Time Machine backups. There is the added bonus of a couple of ethernet ports and USB port for connecting a few other devices via cable.

Airports products were never designed to be serious ethernet routers/switches. You want one of those, you can get nice ones for less than $100.

4. IHelpId10t5 macrumors 6502

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I have had good luck with TRENDnet GREENnet Gigabit switches for my school!

6. broadbean macrumors 6502a

I thought the "gigabit" ethernet ports on these weren't that fast anyway. And as far as "elegant" goes, it having three or four thick ethernet cables stacked on top of each other is not that great. More will look even more terrible - unless maybe if you used the "flat" ethernet cables?

7. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Need more ports just get a switch. Don't think Apple is going to add more ports to their routers.

8. tbradnc macrumors member

How else could you add more ports to a TC besides connecting a hub or switch? Would be an interesting trick if you could do it. :)