Additional fan in Early Black Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by davidw25, Sep 3, 2012.

1. davidw25 macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I have an early 2008 black macbook 2.4Ghz, 4GB Ram.

I have just put an SSD in-place of my HDD and it has sped everything up massively, very pleased with the results.

As is the case with these macbooks they do run very hot and the fan is usually whirring away nicely and never seems to calm down at all.

Here's a thought (I am no way techincally minded so this may not be do able) you can have a dual drive and replace the Optical Disc Drive with another HHD or SSD I know, but could you put another fan in place of the ODD? That way cooling it down even more? Obviously I have no idea how you would go about doing it, if you can, but would this not use that much extra power? And would it even be worth it?

I am looking at cleaning my macbook from dust etc so that may be all thats needed?

Cheers,

David

2. DaKKs macrumors 6502

Its theoretically possible. I did it in an old Dell laptop. But i dont think its worth the hassle. Why don't you just undervolt the cpu? It did miracles for my 2.0 ghz CD. Slap on some arctic silver thermal paste and undervolt.

I'm currently idling on 46 degrees celsius according to iStat, running on 1992mhz@1.0500 volts. Rock stable.

As for the fan. If you're determined to do it. I used a optical hdd adapter (thats PC for optibay/superbay :) ) and a sata PCI GPU fan off ebay. simply hooked up the fan's sata power to the hdd adapter's sata connector. It needed some serious modifications, and to might not fit in a mac since its far thinner.

3. robvas macrumors 68020

Take it apart, clean it out, and re-apply some thermal paste. There's probably a ton of dust/fuzz in there.