Additional labels in iTunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by physicsdude1, Jun 19, 2007.

1. physicsdude1 macrumors member

Does anyone know if iTunes has the functionality to tag songs with more than just a few labels?

I'd like to tag with a number of different labels: Say "classical", "instrumental", "solo organ", and "Halloween" for Bach's Toccata and Fugue. But right now I can only tag the Genre and use Grouping for an additional tag. (I can also use the Comment cell and a few of the other cells to hack it a bit.)

It would be nice if iTunes had a feature to attach as many labels to a song as I would like (a la YouTube, gMail, etc.). Anyone know if this might happen in the future or if there is a way to do it now?

2. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

if you go to the get info, there is a place for comments, and if you enter it there (im assuming u want to tag it for smart playlists) then you can make a smart playlist and in the drop down menu pick comment for the filtering material

Attached Files:

3. Mr. Amiga500 macrumors regular

Mr. Amiga500

I have the same problem (I like baroque). It seems all music tags in files, programs and players were set up to be useful for modern vocal music only. For some reason, the designers/programmers ignored the millions of pieces of instrumental music (and hundreds of years of history) where "Song, Album, Artist" are meaningless.

It's better than it was - they added the "Composer" field and changed "Song" to "Name", but they still need to improve it. For instrumental music, there should be "Composer", "Piece", "Movement", "Conductor/Lead musician", "Ensemble/Orchestra", "Performance date". This is the minimum for identifying a specific classical piece. As it is, I have to put the conductor, orcestra and performance date into the "Comments" field. I remove the "Artist,Album,Track,Genre" columns from lists, but all my music annoyingly comes up in players as "Unknown Artist/Unknown Album".

The iPod display needs to be changed too, to allow you to choose which fields to display instead of the fixed display of Song, Album, Artist fields.

4. guifa macrumors 6502

Ironically electronica music would have use for the same fields. Adding the album artist works well for mixes but it still isn't optimal, especially if you like to keep track of the stage name and the real name of people. For live DJ sets, I've been putting the dates and locations in the title "Paul van Dyk at X club, Y city - Z date" but it's still not quite as optimal. And would it kill them to let us put in the day and month of release too? It'd be nice to sort by release date rather than just year and have it alphabetical within that. They could also use fields for remixer, featured artists (which I'm sure would be welcome in classical music, when you have an orchestra + major musician not part of their ensemble) or maybe even just allowing us to list who played which instruments. I know most of the time orhcestral CDs don't go into that detail, but what can I say, I'm OCD about this stuff and would be doing it in my albums for as much as I could get the info.